Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Culture, Day 10 - Class Recap

I am going to bet that many students wrote that one of the ways culture both reflects and shapes society is through religion. This is a church in Budapest, Hungary, in 2013. I just loved the lighting here! No special effects!

Dear class,

Hooray! You are finally done with the DBQ final essay for the culture unit! I really appreciated how focused everyone seemed to be today in class, and I am excited to start looking into how everyone did. Here's what happened in class:

Learning Targets:
Knowledge LT 16: I can explain how culture both reflects and shapes society.
Critical Thinking LT 1:  I can explain multiple perspectives and viewpoints.
Communication LT 2:  I can use language and  style that is appropriate to the content area.

Soundtrack: "Get Ready for This" by 2 Unlimited. Intended as a pump up song to write the DBQ essay today in class! Here's a link to the version I played in class, from ESPN's "Jock Jams" CD.

AGENDA 11/5/14:
News Brief/Election Review – Anthony
Culture DBQ Essay

Homework: Read the blog. If you did not turn in your culture unit work today (or missed class), you need to get all of this in to me as soon as possible:

1) Cornell Notes on Culture definitions/iceberg PowerPoint
2) Surface culture worksheet (National Geographic photos PowerPoint)
3) Nacirema writing (neatly written or typed, 200 words minimum)
4) Time for School Notes/Answers
5) USA Culturegram activity
6) Culture unit reflection and preparation worksheet.

Next news brief: Enrique

News Brief: Anthony had the news brief today and chose this story to talk about: CNN.com - Nearly 400 Killed in Three Weeks of Libya Fighting. We found Libya on our world map packet (in Africa), then moved on to election news.

Obviously, this was a big story here in Oregon last night. We talked a lot about Measure 91 in class, including the next steps for when the law goes into effect and what it does. I showed this tweet that has a map of how counties in Oregon voted on Measure 91. We also went over the full election results for the rest of the ballot measures and candidates here in Oregon. I showed another tweet, with a map of county results for Measure 88 (which would have given undocumented immigrants access to get driver's cards).

Nationally, here's a map of how the U.S. Senate became Republican controlled due to a series of wins last night.

There was obviously a LOT to talk about - I'm glad everyone was so interested in what was going on with the election! :-)

Enrique was selected to do the next news brief.

Culture DBQ Essay: The rest of class was devoted to writing your essay for the culture unit final DBQ. If you missed class, you will need to make this up with me in a Study Hall or after school. It is a timed write, and unless it is a requirement that I give you extra time as a part of an agreement, it was due in class - this is a skill that you will help you in the future with DBQ tests and timed essays.

The DBQ was due at the end of class, along with all the other work from the culture unit (as listed above in the culture section). Particularly, I wanted to see this right after the DBQ:


The rest of your culture unit work was stapled underneath the essay and reflection. I will work on getting these graded over the long weekend. It might take a while, though! I want you to know that I do read and appreciate everything you write as an assessment of your learning!

Thanks again for all of your hard work today! See you next class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)