Monday, March 14, 2016

Historical Investigation, Day 2 - Class Recap

Another picture from my Spring Break trip to Washington, D.C. in 2010: this is the National Archives building, where the original copies of the Declaration of Independence and Constitution are held. Those are extremely important documents for historians researching the American Revolution!

Hi everyone,

One more week to go until Spring Break! Lots of work to do until then (and probably some during the break, too). Here's what we did today in class:

Learning Targets: 
Knowledge LT 19: I can explain the impacts of nationalism and revolutionary movements.
Communication LT 1: I can communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
Research LT 1: I can effectively conduct and apply research.
Critical Thinking LT 2: I can explain connections between events, issues, problems and concepts.

Soundtrack: "Marry The Night" by Lady Gaga. Selected for today because it was so dark out this morning, due to the loss of an hour over the weekend, for Daylight Savings Time. Lyrics here.

AGENDA 3/14/16:
News Brief - Alex
Research Questions
Finish Part A
Computer Lab N210

Homework: Read the blog! Turn in your Part A research question paragraph ASAP (printed - not emailed) if you did not today. Start working on research for Part B! Next news brief: Antonio.
---
News Brief: Alex had the news brief today and selected this story to talk about: NYTimes.com - American ISIS Fighter Is Captured in Iraq. We found Iraq on our world maps and talked about who Kurdish people are and why it is important to continue to learn about ISIS. Thanks, Alex!

We checked in about last weekend and what people were up to.

Antonio was selected for the next news brief.

We also watched the one minute BBC World News update. Here's the link to see the latest one minute update, at any time of day (it will probably be different from what we watched in class):


Research Questions: For this section, I explained how to do research using the Westview Library Website - particularly the EBSCO and Destiny Library Catalog tools. If you can access the internet at home to research for your project, here is the guide for the login and password information that I showed in class.

Finish Part A/Computer Lab N210: After explaining all of this, we headed over to N210 to finish Part A. I wanted to make sure that I approved each research question before you moved on to writing out the whole paragraph for Part A. Hopefully, everyone was able to complete this in class. If not, please print it and give it to me ASAP, please. Also, this could have been a time you were looking at what to do for Part B.

I hope that you are feeling okay about this major project! Keep up the good work!

5 comments:

  1. Naki(aka Tongan Girl)March 14, 2016 at 5:10 PM

    Just finished reading the blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can we use two sources for one paragraph?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Samahdi,

      I want you to try and use one source in each paragraph. If you think your research paper would be stronger with two, that's fine.

      Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Also, can I change my research question? I feel like it's not exactly what I was going for.

      Delete
    3. Hi Samahdi,

      Yes, but please run it by me first! And try to have it somewhat relate to all of the research you have already done, if possible!

      Delete

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)