Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Period 1: Nigeria - Building a Power, Day 3 - Class Recap


A map of Nigeria.

Good morning class,

Because I am currently waiting to talk to another Westview teacher for a homework assignment from Lewis and Clark (yes, I have them too!), I figured I might as well get the recap done early today, while everyone is forecasting!

First off, I want to apologize for the rushed feeling of the seminar today. I did not know that class would be ending so soon until right before. I also think I was probably a little too directly involved in the discussion. I should have let everyone get their thoughts in on their own. It's very difficult for me as a teacher, because my main goal for this particular seminar was participation. What happened was good - I loved some of the ideas that were brought up. What I did not feel particularly proud of was my trying to force people to talk, at the expense of those who really did want to. It is a difficult problem for me. When I have a few people who are really into the conversation, I love it, but I also am really interested in what everyone else has to say.

I think the opposite of my goal happened today. I was so concerned with getting everyone to participate that I was the person taking up much of the time with my own thoughts, trying to get everyone involved! I just think it backfired. For everyone that was really excited to bring tons of ideas to the table, I am sorry for that lack of time. Obviously, we are going to do the seminar for the outside group next class - which is even more difficult because that is the group that did not volunteer to talk in the first place.

Anyway, I hope that we got something out of it. I'll try different things in the future with the seminar! Please let me know if the comments or by e-mail what you thought of things.

Essential Questions: How do different structures of power impact the people over whom they govern? How does a developing country become developed?

Soundtrack: "Refuge (When It's Cold Outside)" by John Legend. Selected because it is cold outside and the classroom should be a place of refuge and excitement. Lyrics are
here.

AGENDA 2/11/09
Hand Back Work
News Brief
Chapter Presentations
Socratic Seminar
Visiting Africa

Homework: Find out basic information about your country - bring to class on Friday. Check blog!

If you do not remember which country you signed up for (which would be understandable, given the rush), please either comment or
e-mail me. I just want you to begin investigating on your own - we will do more in class on Friday.

Hand Back Work: You should have your Somalia article handed back to you. I know that some people did not. Are you sure that you turned it in to me? Remember, I went around and checked it off, but I did not collect it until the end of class that day. I did look in my folder, and I did not find any other work. Please let me know if you think I may have misplaced it - or you could just send me another copy and I will be fine.

News Brief: McKenzie brought in an article about crazy weather in Europe -
BBC.com - High winds hit north-west France. Again, an interesting look at some the extreme weather that has been happening! I talked a little about climate change/global warming, and the impact that melting ice caps have, due to the loss of ability to reflect light. This is called a "feedback loop" and here is an excellent recap of what I was talking about: ABC News.com: What is a "Feedback Loop?" Nathan, you are up for Friday - any news article that talks about something outside the United States.

Chapter Presentations: These were a lot better today, I thought. I especially liked how it seemed like almost the entire class was paying pretty close attention to what the groups were talking about. I don't know if that is a function of the new seating chart or not, but it was definitely appreciated. Again, the reason that we did this activity was to learn a little more about how different places around the world have dealt with development. We then crafted a small list of what we had learned about developing countries - off the top of my head, I think it was something like: struggling, time consuming, conflicts, government building. Good! I was actually a little surprised we got that much out of the exercise. Sorry if it was boring!

Socratic Seminar: Hopefully you have read some of my thoughts above about this. Basically, I think that I didn't allow everyone enough time to really go through and talk about it - and I know that there were definitely times when people had to restrain themselves from bringing excellent ideas to the table. This was my bad - but again, it's difficult. What do I value more: participation of everyone, even if it isn't that deep, OR about a third of the class really getting into the discussion and going very deep into it? For this seminar, I wanted participation, and I think I let everyone down by trying to force it too much. Live and learn!

As for the thoughts that WERE raised: EXCELLENT. It is obvious to me when people are doing the reading, making connections, and excited about asking questions. I loved what we had to say about the article. I especially liked how it seemed like nobody just completely rejected what the author had to say, even if the way he made his argument was pretty controversial. I seemed like everyone really considered the root causes of the answers to the original question of: how does a developing country become developed?

Again, please post any other thoughts, questions, or comments about the seminar - by all means, if you felt like you didn't really get to say what you wanted today, let it out on here! Let's start a discussion again! :-)

Visiting Africa: Thanks for staying behind for a minute or two to pick out your countries. Please
e-mail me if you need to know which one you picked or have any questions.

----

That should just about do it! Please have a wonderful afternoon. Don't forget to watch the World Cup qualifier between the USA and Mexico (4 PM, ESPN2) and/or the Blazer game vs. the ex-Sonics tonight (7 PM, CSN). Also, watch The Office tomorrow night, because it is pretty much guaranteed to make you laugh. And we could all use some more of that! I will not be at Westview tomorrow, as it is my day to do some homework, planning, and sleep a little. So, see you Friday!

20 comments:

  1. Mr. Fritz,
    Are we supposed to print out facts off of the internet? Or are we supposed to type up our research?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zack,

    Great question! Basically, I want you to just begin the process of finding out information about your country (in your case, Botswana). To be honest, I'm not going to check anything off. I just want you to have some basis to start with when we start working in class on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. U.S.A moving on.

    Score: U.S-2 Mexico-0

    Didn't watch all of the game. Saw the very begining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good times! The US has totally owned Mexico when they play in the US the last few years.

    Nice to see the Blazers pick up that win tonight too. A big game against Golden State tomorrow, going into the All-Star Break!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you please post a list of who has to do the current world news because I have no clue when to find an article. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaron,

    I'm just going down the class list alphabetically - I have no idea when your turn will be, because it will be a long time from now, considering your last name starts with R. Nathan is on Friday, Nolan is next Wednesday, and CJ is next Friday, if that helps anyone at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok so im doing Cote d'ivoire and i got like 7 pages of facts from the internet is that good?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr. Fritz,

    What would be a good website to find out facts on a country?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Mr. Fritz!
    I accidently forgot my which country was mine. Do you have the list so you could tell me which one i was doing?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Mr.Fritz it's me John I just wanted to know which country I had selected and what information I need to gather about the country thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mr Fritz, Did you know that Abuja wasnt always the capital of Nigeria. It was actually Lagos that was the capital up until 1976. That was til Federal Capital Territory was introduced. (dont actually know what it is, just tring to impress you)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!

    See this is what happens when Lewis and Clark schedules four hour long classes - comments come pouring in and everyone has to wait for me to get out! I'll go down the line...

    Scout - Seven pages is way more than enough. I am just looking for the basics, like where it is, and a few facts about the people that live there - basically like the PowerPoints that I do.

    Brandon - an excellent website to find facts would be the CIA World FactBook, which is located here: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/ - just select your country from that drop down menu.

    Jillian - your country (which you signed up for upside down - no wonder you don't remember) is Zambia. :-)

    John - your country is the Democratic Republic of the Congo (not to be confused with the Republic of the Congo). As for what information you need, again, just basic facts about where it is and something about the people that live there, etc.

    Abe - I actually did know that! I was impressed already when you wrote in your breaking news assignment that Lagos was the capital. Good times! Hope you are feeling better! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey mr fritz.
    i found alot of info on my country.. to much to print out and bring in. would it be alright if i posted my link and read up on it right now? or will we need it in class tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ben,

    You really don't need all that information. Try just writing down: where is it? How many people live there? What is the infant mortality rate and literacy rate? What do people do for a living? What is the government and religion like, and what languages are spoken?

    That sort of thing. If you want to post a link, that is fine - we are actually (hopefully) going to be going to the computer lab tomorrow, so you might be able to come here in the morning and find it again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey mr fritz
    its russel
    what website do you reccomend for getting info on our country?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Russel!

    There isn't any one particular website. I would see if your country has a tourism website. I would also check out the CIA World Fact Book for those basic facts. Basically, research and see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh ok
    oh yeah the song that i suggested was good
    no bad words
    is it ok if i bring the cd and listen to it in the beginning of class

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha, it's okay if you bring it in and I screen it before class, yes. I might have to rip the song and save it for a later date though.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh ok sounds fair
    are we going to the computer lab on wednesday?
    i really need it
    im using my cousins computer

    ReplyDelete
  20. Russel,

    It's possible we will be going to a computer lab, but I wouldn't count on it (for Wednesday, at least). When I looked last week, all of them had been signed up for. I'll see what I can find open.

    ReplyDelete

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)