Friday, December 19, 2014

Genocide in Rwanda, Day 7 - Class Recap


The United Nations negotiating table between South and North Korea. We talked about "The Interview" movie that was about North Korea, and also watched Hotel Rwanda in class today. Photo taken in January 2014.

Dear class,

Today was our last Global Studies class together in 2014! I was happy to check in on what everyone was up to during Winter Break and talk more about the world, before starting Hotel Rwanda. Here's what happened in class today:

Learning Targets:
Knowledge LT 21: I can identify the critical components of imperialism.
Communication LT 2: I can use language and style that is appropriate to the content area.
Critical Thinking and Analysis LT 2: I can explain connections between events, issues, problems and concepts.

Soundtrack: "Reelin' in the Years" by Steely Dan. Selected for today because the next time we have class together, it will be a new year! Lyrics here.

AGENDA 12/19/14:
News Brief - Clara
Hotel Rwanda

Homework: Read the blog. Work on any late or incomplete work. Have a great, safe break. See you in 2015! Next news brief: Mr. Fritz.

Wildcat News Brief: Clara had the news brief today and selected an article about this story: CNN.com - U.S. airstrikes kill 3 top ISIS leaders.

We also talked about: CNN.com - Anger over the end of 'The Interview'. What an interesting story about so many different aspects of the world! Technology, movies, spies, hacking, world leaders, money, etc. North Korea seems to have "won" this, since Sony isn't going to distribute the movie after being hacked and threatened. Pretty crazy!

President Obama announced a prisoner swap and better diplomatic relations with Cuba. Here is that story: CNN.com - Historic thaw in U.S., Cuba standoff.

I will be doing the next news brief, since there is such a long time between classes! I love following what is going on in the world, so it will be easy for me. I hope everyone continues to follow the news over break!

We also talked about what we will be up to over break. I shared that my family will be in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico for five days, then I will be going to the Rose Bowl on January 1st to see Oregon play. If they win, then I will go to the National Championship game in Dallas on January 12, as well! So there is certainly a lot of travel in the near future for me. :-)

Here is the Wildcat News for today:


Hotel Rwanda: The rest of class was spent watching the movie Hotel Rwanda (2004). I normally do not show entire movies in class, but this one is SO good and relevant to the Rwanda unit. Here is the worksheet of questions to answer as we watched:


We watched 57 minutes in class, and will watch the rest when we get back from break.

At the end of class, I asked again for any revised copies of the Rwanda speech (which I will be grading). If you are needing it to find the rubrics to turn in with your revised paper or work on it over break, here they are:


Have a wonderful two weeks off! See you in 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)