Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Religion, Day 4 - Class Recap


We took notes about Christianity today in class. This is a photo from the top of a mountain overlook Cabo San Lucas, at the tip of Baja California in Mexico. Taken over Winter Break, 2014.

Dear class,

What a relief for me to be able to pass back your graded Historical Investigations today! Whew! They definitely take a ton of time to grade. It was also nice to be able to continue looking at how religion impacts society, and with taking notes on a new religion. Here's what we did today in class:

Learning Targets: 
Knowledge LT 22: I can explain how religious ideas impact the shaping of societies.
Critical Thinking LT 2: I can explain connections between events, issues, problems and concepts.

Soundtrack: "Nocturne in C-Sharp Minor" from The Pianist (Wladek Szpilman). Selected for today because of the story of Szpilman, who was a Jewish pianist that survived the Holocaust. No lyrics, but listen to the song here.

AGENDA 4/21/15:
News Brief – Kelli
Historical Investigation Grades
Israel and Religion
Christianity
Grade Check

Homework: Read the blog! Know your grade and how to improve it - Russian Revolution (found on this post), World War I work (found on this post) and finishing Historical Investigation if you have not - revisions needed, as well. Next news brief: Brian.
---
News Brief: Kelli had the news brief today and selected an article about this story to talk about: TheGlobeandMail.com - Coke to buy China multi-grain drinks maker for $400-million. I noted that Coca-Cola is actually a good example of corporate imperialism, in how they have spread their influence all over the world. Many countries are filled with advertisements for Coke on the sides of the road. We talked about our weekends for a bit, too.

We also watched VICE News for the day, before moving on.

The next news brief was assigned to Brian.

Historical Investigation Grades: So, I spent about 8-9 hours on Sunday, just grading. I didn't leave my house once! The result was getting your class graded. I went through an overview of what I was seeing on the papers, with a few areas of concern. That is here, if you want to see it.

I cannot promise that your revisions on this will be graded by progress reports, if you give them to me by Thursday, because I still have the first editions of the other two classes to go through. But turning in revisions would wipe out the current N grades on the project, which would be massively helpful in improving your grade.

Please see my extensive comments in the text of your paper, along with the grading sheet comments, to determine what you need to do. If you have not turned anything in to me yet, that needs to happen ASAP to avoid a bad grade on your progress report.

Israel and Religion: To focus on how the Jewish religion impacts and shapes society, it is easy to point to the only country in the world where Judaism is the main religion: Israel. To start this section, I played this video that Orel sent me, which is about the Holocaust Memorial Day in Israel, and stopping everything for a minute to reflect:

הדקה הזאת...
Holocaust Memorial Day - יום השואה
Posted by ‎ערבות‎ on Thursday, April 16, 2015

What an incredibly powerful video! Thank you for sharing it with us, Orel!

The next document I showed the class was this recent survey of Americans about their attitudes towards Israel: Gallup.com - Seven in 10 Americans Continue to View Israel Favorably. I showed this to demonstrate that there is still huge support for Israel here in the United States, and I talked about the reasons why this might be - again, how religion impacts society.

Finally, I showed this video from the New York Times: NYTimes.com - Israelis Split Over Service. This was to show the conflict within Israel between Ultra-Orthodox Jews and the military, who mandates that people of the country serve when they turn 18.

After the video, I asked the question of whether or not students thought the Jewish people in the video should be forced to serve in the military, and we had an interesting discussion about it.

Christianity: Next, we continued with the religion notes, using the Cornell Notes format. Here is the PowerPoint again:


Today, we finished the fourth religion in the PowerPoint - Christianity. I appreciated your focus on it! I enjoyed, as always, explaining and trying to answer questions from the class. :-)

Grade Check: The rest of class was devoted to working on improving your grade if at all possible! I talked students that I had specific concerns about for grades on this upcoming progress report, and my message was largely that you can still save yourself by getting credit for the year, even if you have an F. There is lots of work to do, but it is not too late! I have updated your grades online to reflect the Historical Investigation, as well. Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)