Monday, May 4, 2015

Religion, Day 8 - Class Recap


Today, we finished the religion unit in class - the last bit of fire has been extinguished on the unit! This is a photo of a pagoda in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, taken in 2011.

Dear class,

I did not anticipate the religion test taking quite so long today, but that's okay! I'm glad everyone worked hard and I am looking forward to grading them and getting them back to you soon. Here's what we did today in class:

Learning Targets: 
Knowledge LT 10: I can explain demographic changes in the world and their effects.
Knowledge LT 22: I can explain how religious ideas impact the shaping of societies.
Critical Thinking LT 2: I can explain connections between events, issues, problems and concepts.

Soundtrack: "Duel of the Fates" from Star Wars. Selected because today is May The Fourth (Be With You) and because you had an epic battle awaiting you with the religion test. No lyrics, but listen here.

AGENDA 5/4/15:
News Brief – Jose
Religion Test
Demographics
The End of Poverty

Homework: Read the blog! If you have not turned in your Historical Investigation, please do so immediately - I would especially just like to see Part A/the research question paragraph if you have not turned it in. Know your grade and how to improve it - Russian Revolution (found on this post), World War I work (found on this post) and finishing Historical Investigation if you have not - revisions needed, as well (if you want to turn in a revised copy, please give me the original graded copy for review, as well). Next news brief: Olivia.
---
News Brief: Jose had the news brief today and selected an article about this story to talk about: DetroitNews.com - Selfridge airmen, planes deploy to fight Islamic State. This really relates to what we were talking about last week, with ISIS and how the United States is involved in the conflict in Iraq and Syria.

We also watched VICE News for the day and talked about our weekends, before moving on.

The next news brief was assigned to Olivia.

Religion Test: After the news brief, I gave the class about 5 minutes to study, as I went around and talked with students that I needed to see Part A (at the very least, ASAP) of the historical investigation from. Then, we started the test. As I wrote above, I was a bit surprised by how long this took (close to the entire rest of the class), but that is okay. I'm glad students were taking their time and being thorough with their work.

Demographics: At the end of class, I asked the class what "demographics" meant and had some good initial responses about ways to categorize people. We ended class by watching this video about population, health, and income over time, which I think is an amazing way to visualize all that data:


Next class, we will continue learning about demographics and go to the computer lab to do some research on different demographic indicators. Thanks for your hard work and focus today in class!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)