Friday, December 18, 2015

Genocide in Rwanda, Day 7 - Class Recap


The United Nations negotiating table between South and North Korea. We watched Hotel Rwanda in class today, which also has the United Nations involved. Photo taken in January 2014.

Dear class,

Today was our last Global Studies class together in 2015! I was happy to check in on what everyone was up to during Winter Break and talk more about the world, before starting Hotel Rwanda. Here's what happened in class today:

Learning Targets:
Knowledge LT 20: I can identify the critical components of imperialism.
Communication LT 1:  I can communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
Behavior LT 3: I can communicate and work effectively within a team or group.

Soundtrack: "Reelin' in the Years" by Steely Dan. Selected for today because the next time we have class together, it will be a new year! Lyrics here.

AGENDA 12/18/15:
News Brief - Trent
Speech Debrief
Hotel Rwanda
Break!

Homework: Read the blog. Work on any late or incomplete work. Have a great, safe break. See you in 2016! Next news brief: Mr. Fritz.

News Brief: Trent was not in class today, so I had the news brief today and selected this story to talk about: NPR.org - Violence Escalates In Burundi; U.S Citizens Urged To Leave. We found Burundi in our world maps and noted we did a news brief there. The reason I chose this should not be a surprise: there are lots of references to Rwanda in this story. I played the audio for the story in class, and scrolled down the transcript, as well. Hopefully, people will be paying attention to Burundi and stop the violence there.

I will also be doing the next news brief, since there is such a long time between classes! I love following what is going on in the world, so it will be easy for me. I hope everyone continues to follow the news over break!

We also talked about what we will be up to over break. I shared that my family will be in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico for five days, then I will be going to the Alamo Bowl in Texas on January 2nd to see Oregon play.So there is certainly a lot of travel in the near future for me. :-)

As I said in class, I realize that, for some students, being at home is harder than being at school, so just know that my thoughts are with you all, and that I am excited to see you next year!

Speech Debrief: Before we started watching Hotel Rwanda, I asked for some thoughts about the Rwanda speeches. Thanks for the feedback given! I really enjoy that activity, and as I said in class, I'm always so proud of my classes. Never a doubt in my mind that you would impress the administration in the room!

Hotel Rwanda: The rest of class was spent watching the movie Hotel Rwanda (2004). I normally do not show entire movies in class, but this one is SO good and relevant to the Rwanda unit. Here is the worksheet of questions to answer as we watched:


We watched 63 minutes in class, and will watch the rest when we get back from break.

At the end of class, I asked again for any revised copies of the Rwanda speech (which I will be grading). If you are needing it to find the rubrics to turn in with your revised paper or work on it over break, here they are:


Have a wonderful two weeks off! See you in 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)