Monday, December 18, 2017

Genocide in Rwanda, Day 7 - Class Recap


The United Nations negotiating table between South and North Korea. We watched Hotel Rwanda in class today, which also has the United Nations involved. Photo taken in January 2014.

Dear class,

Welcome back to a short week, as we start Winter Break on Thursday! Today, we started watching Hotel Rwanda. Here's what happened in class today:

Learning Targets:
Knowledge LT 20: I can identify the critical components of imperialism.
Communication LT 1:  I can communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
Behavior LT 3: I can communicate and work effectively within a team or group.

Soundtrack: “Tarihinda” by Cécile Kayirebwa. Selected for today because Ms. Kayirebwa is one of the most famous singers in Rwanda. The song is about mothers. Listen again to it here.

AGENDA 12/18/17:
News Brief - Faith
Speech Debrief
Hotel Rwanda

Homework: Read the blog. Work on any late or incomplete work - especially turning in your individual Rwanda speech online if you have not already. Next news brief: Manny C.

News Brief: Faith selected this story for the news brief: BBC.com - Saudi Prince bin Salman 'was mystery buyer' of $320m house. We found France in our world maps and noted we did a news brief there, before moving on to talk about what we were up to outside of class.

I also talked about this story: NYTimes.com - Rwanda Accuses France of Complicity in 1994 Genocide.  The reason I chose this should not be a surprise: there are lots of references to Rwanda in this story. I talked about the ongoing legacy of the genocide in Rwanda and why it continues to be an issue today.

We also watched the one minute BBC World News update. Here's the link to see the latest one minute update, at any time of day (it will probably be different from what we watched in class):

Speech Debrief: Before we started watching Hotel Rwanda, I asked for some thoughts about the Rwanda speeches. Thanks for the feedback given! I really enjoy that activity, and as I said in class, I'm always so proud of my classes. Never a doubt in my mind that you would impress the administration in the room!

Hotel Rwanda: The rest of class was spent watching the movie Hotel Rwanda (2004). I normally do not show entire movies in class, but this one is SO good and relevant to the Rwanda unit. Here is the worksheet of questions to answer as we watched:


We watched about 59 minutes in class, and will hopefully get to finish next class.

At the end of class, I asked again for any revised copies of the individual Rwanda speech (which I will be grading soon). If you are needing it to work on it, here it is again:


See you next class, for our last school day of 2017!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)