Friday, March 2, 2018

World War I, Day 8 - Class Recap

Hopefully you feel like you just won a big game after completing your World War I final essay in class today. I took this picture on April 21, 2009, as our Portland Trail Blazers beat the Houston Rockets in a playoff game.

Dear class,

Hooray! If you were in class today, you completed the essay test for our World War I unit! I'm looking forward to reading them all. In the meantime, relax and enjoy some rest before we start the next unit. Here's the short class recap for today:

Learning Targets:
Critical Thinking and Analysis LT 2: I can explain connections between events, issues, problems, and concepts.
Communication 1: Communication is effective, organized, focused and compelling. 
Knowledge LT 19: I can explain the impacts of nationalism and revolutionary movements. 

Soundtrack: "Over There" by George M. Cohan. Selected for today because it was an actual song used during World War I in the United States. Listen to the song here and read the lyrics here.

AGENDA 3/2/18:
News Brief - Anya
World War I Essay Test
Turn in Work
Forecasting

Homework: Read the blog! Turn in missing work if you do not have it today. Next news brief: Daniel.

News Brief: As usual, we started with a news brief. Anya selected an article about this story: CNN.com - The world's last male northern white rhino is on death watch. We found Kenya on our world maps and noted that we did a news brief about it. We also talked for a bit about the Kenya, as well.

Daniel has the next news brief. 

We talked about the weekend and what people were up to, before moving on.

We also watched the one minute BBC World News update. Here's the link to see the latest one minute update, at any time of day (it will probably be different from what we watched in class):


World War I Test: I was VERY pleased with how this went. Almost every single student worked hard for over an hour, quietly writing and responding. Mostly, I tried to stay out of your way with this, aside from occasional updates on how much time was left in the period. Again, I am really looking forward to seeing how everyone did. Thank you so much for your hard work and focus!

Turn in Work: After the essay test, I had everyone turn in all of their World War I work. Here's the checklist/rubric that should be stapled to the top of your work packet:


Here are links again to all the work you needed:


2) Franz Ferdinand assassination answers (separate sheet of paper)

3) Rough Draft/Practice Essay on start of WWI, with brainstorm/graphic organizer (see last slide here for the essay prompt). Please also get this peer reviewed, as well. It does NOT need to be finished as a final draft - all I am looking for here is that you have the writing process.

4) Letter from the Trenches assignment

5) US Entry into WWI paragraph (bottom of the second page, in TS/CD/CD/CM/CS format)

6) Treaty of Versailles Worksheet (see example on second page, then follow format for the rest of the points).

Forecasting: At the end of the class, as students were finishing their essays, I went around and was happy to talk about forecasting, which is due next week during Community. Please fill out your online forecasting, as well - make sure you are forecasting for 16 credits, with 5 alternates! Come see me if you have any last questions!

Thanks, everyone! Next class, we will start a new unit and I think it will be a fun day. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)