Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Willamette Promise/WOU Registration - Class Recap


I attended Western Oregon University in college - here is my intramural basketball team after winning the championship!

Dear class,

Today was the start of our in class journey towards college credit together! There will be many more details in the coming days and weeks, but I wanted to make sure we had all of our students register for the opportunity. Here's what happened today in class:

Learning Targets: 
Critical Thinking and Analysis LT 2: I can explain connections between events, issues, problems, and concepts.
Knowledge LT 19: I can explain the impacts of nationalism and revolutionary movements.

Soundtrack: "The Second Coming" by Juelz Santana and Just Blaze. Selected for today because of the connection with my basketball team at WOU and also because this opportunity will not be likely to come around for you a second time! Lyrics here.

AGENDA 2/28/18:
News Brief – Chloe
Willamette Promise
Registration
Forecasting Questions

Homework: Read the blog. Make sure all of your World War I work for the Collection of Evidence is completed and in order! See below for links! Your final essay will be in class on Friday! Next news brief: Anya.

News Brief: Chloe had the news brief today and selected this story to talk about: BBC.com - UK weather: Snow continues to hit the UK. We found the United Kingdom again on our world maps and talked about this story for a bit (my mom just flew back from London, escaping the snow!), before moving on.

Anya has the next news brief.

We also watched the one minute BBC World News update. Here's the link to see the latest one minute update, at any time of day (it will probably be different from what we watched in class):

BBCNews.com - One-minute World News

Willamette Promise: To start this process, I explained to the class what the Willamette Promise program is and how it is an opportunity to earn college credit (through Western Oregon University) for a project we are doing in Global Studies. Here is the PowerPoint that I went through with the class as an overview:


I added plenty of my own commentary to this presentation, but basically: this is an incredible opportunity for students. I know we will be able to make good use of it.

Registration: The main point of the day was to register for the Willamette Promise course and also as a student at Western Oregon University. I passed out student State Testing ID numbers for the first part (if you missed class, I can provide you with your number as requested). Remember that you must register with your exact name as it is on StudentVUE with your home address that is on file with the school. Here is the video that we watched in class to help with this process:



Hopefully this process made sense and went smoothly for you. Remember that you need to register for both Willamette Promise AND Western Oregon University using the links provided here:

WESD.org - Willamette Promise Student Registration

Forecasting: The end of class was set aside for any forecasting questions that I could answer or help with! Please remember that next class (on Friday for Period 5) will be your timed in class final essay on World War I - bring all of your notes to use and your Chromebook if you would rather type than write! See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)