Thursday, January 8, 2009

Period 1: Genocide in Rwanda, Day 6 - Class Recap


Hotel Rwanda Movie Poster

I don't really have too much to introduce today, though I will say that writing my lesson plan was actually surprisingly difficult - there were just so many loose ends I wanted to try and get to! Everything outside the watching of the actual movie was about review. Expect a little more of that next week. I really put the pedal to the metal before break, so I think it is important that we go back and realize just what we were talking about.

Soundtrack: "
Comin' From Where I'm From" by Anthony Hamilton. Again, I chose these because it deals with empathy. It's a song explaining about coming from a difficult place in life. One of my favorites.

AGENDA 1/8/09
Debrief Speech/Grades/Life
Empathy
Rules for Movie/Assignment
Hotel Rwanda – Pt. 1
--> Check in with Mr. Fritz (bring colonialism to genocide chart and speech notes).

HW: For those who did not get the colonialism to genocide flow chart done, that is homework due Monday. Since I talked to every single one of you about this, I am expecting no problems. For everyone else, keep checking the blog and have a wonderful weekend!

Debrief Speech/Grades/Life: First off, I wanted to reiterate how good the speeches were and how you've earned the time off. We talked a little bit about how giving the speech felt, what the hardest (or easiest) parts were, if it was intimidating, and finally, if you could imagine doing it in a real life situation - speaking out about something that is horribly wrong in the world. That would probably be my ultimate goal for assigning the whole thing.

I also went over how I will break down the 50 points for the project, which is as follows:
Individual Speech 10
Group Speech 20
Individual Part of Group Speech 10
Group Participation 10

I will grade each aspect with regards to what the assignment asked you to do (with things like due dates and typed copies kept in mind). If you wrote out your speech because you couldn't print it at school, I would appreciate it if you would
e-mail me a typed copy as soon as possible so I can include it in the grading I will do this weekend.

Empathy: Before watching the movie, I asked about what "empathy" meant to you. It is at the core of what this unit is about - developing a sense of what it would be like to be in someone else's shoes. Not pity (which is feeling sorry for someone), but empathy. I really believe that empathy promotes action, so I was glad to hear some good definitions - and also that you actually cared about doing the speech. It makes me proud!

Rules for Watching Movie: I just wanted to make sure that everyone knew the ground rules going into the movie. It's really important to me that we don't disrespect the subject matter, especially after all of this build up. I think that everybody got this. Sometimes I think I'm a little too blunt with stuff like rules, but I think it's better safe than sorry.

Hotel Rwanda, Pt. 1: Interesting comments at the end of class! I promise that the movie gets a little easier to watch - it's very inspirational. However, we do have to realize that this stuff goes on around the world - it's the only way we can stop it. Thanks for paying close attention. I'm excited to read your responses and get back to you!

Talk to Mr. Fritz: I know that this was probably somewhat distracting, but I really wanted to touch base with all of you. Hopefully you now all know exactly where you are in my class (though remember, if you are missing things from Mrs. DeFrance, you need to get those into - and talk to - her ASAP). You should know a lot more when I get those speech grades back to you. Please
e-mail me if you need another update on what I need from you.

Homework: Remember to do the colonialism to genocide flow chart! We will be using this for a project next week, so it is critical you get it done.

Finally, here's an interesting link coming off that last edit from the previous post:
Security Council calls for cease-fire in Gaza - CNN.com. I know that most (or all) of you do not know much about the situation in Israel and the Gaza Strip, and I hope that this is a topic we will cover in the future because it is a region that will remain important forever. An interesting little quote from the article that caught my eye: "Fourteen of the council's 15 members voted in favor of the resolution, with U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice abstaining from the vote on behalf of the United States."

This was apparently because the U.S. wanted to see the results of the peace effort that is being facilitated by Egypt (
more detailed link). Still, what kind of message does this send?

I think that's about it. Go Blazers on Saturday (7 PM, Comcast Sports Net) and Eagles on Sunday (10 AM, FOX)! Have a great weekend!

----

First message:

Hello students,

I wanted to drop a little note to say that I will be posting the class recap a little later this evening than I normally do, because I have class at Lewis and Clark from 3:30 to 7:30. Could you imagine if you had a four hour long class? And had to miss the BCS National Championship game in the meantime? The sacrifices of being a teacher! :-)

Remember to be working on those cause and effect charts if I didn't check it off today.

Have a great evening!

11 comments:

  1. I think you should wach the game during the meetting while your at the meeting. Who wants to sit and learn for for hours? Not me. But any ways good luck. Are you a GATOR or a sooner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Fritz,
    I definitely know how difficult it is to be a grad student while working, because that is what my Dad is doing right now. Good Luck with the rest of your schooling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abe, I wish that we had TV screens in class. Well, actually I don't, because I would never learn anything, just like when you guys have cell phones or iPods out. :-)

    I guess I'm a Gator for the night - my friend Ryan, who is actually biking across the country right now, was just treated very nicely at the Florida campus. That, and I really don't like Oklahoma from the Ducks playing them so much in the past few years.

    Zack, thanks for the thoughts! I'm actually really excited to do it all, though it is extremely tiring at times. I feel some empathy for your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Fritz, I was wathing a show called Knight Rider and one of the characters made a comment about genocide. So i just thought you might like to hear theat. Have a good weekend!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brandon,

    I've found over the years that it is absolutely amazing how many references I see to something after I've had my eyes opened to it. For instance, every time I see a car that is a similar color and model to mine, I notice it WAY more than if I had never bought my car. The same goes for any topic that I've ever learned about in school. Another great reason to teach and learn as much as possible - almost everything makes sense like that after time! Thanks for telling me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So tonight the blazers play the warriors here in portland, and I am lucky enough to be able to go and watch this game. I went out today and got my mohawk back just so that the blazers will win (and also because baseball season is almost here and I need it for good luck). Just thought that I would share this with everyone. =P GO BLAZERS TONIGHT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun tonight Zack! I just got my TV hooked up today with HD from Comcast - so this will be my first Blazer game in HD! I'm excited. This really should be a win. Cheer hard!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I still had HD. I had it in Cali when I lived there and it changed my life! Not really but it did make watching tv extremely enjoyable. I will cheer so hard I lose my voice. I am very opinionated about the refs, so they hear me all game long. And if we don't win, if we can't beat the worst team in our division, and one of the worst in the west, than I might have to come home and rethink everything... But B-Roy is coming back so there are no excuses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BLAZERS WIN! Golden State at least played them pretty tough early, but it was good to see us pull together as a team and come back from the kind of humiliation you get when you are losing by ten or more to a bad team. Great scoring distribution, and some FANTASTIC dunks by several of our players. Great to have Roy back to lead us to victoryland!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mr. Fritz,
    so how am i exaclty supposed to do the cause and effect sheet? i don't understand how the notes are supposed to help me with it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Randi,

    The notes you took on the seven pillars of genocide, combined with the notes you took on how the genocide happened in Rwanda, as well as the notes you took on the stages of genocide (which you can find on here if you missed them) should help you fill in the boxes in a chronological order. What comes first?

    ReplyDelete

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)