Monday, January 5, 2009

Period 1: Dress For Success!


The flag of the United Nations.

Dear students,

Apparently it was an extra long break for all of us, because this morning I immediately botched two of your names in the hall before second period and I've felt like an absolute idiot ever since! My sincerest apologies. That is honestly my biggest frustration and worry so far - knowing all 90+ names in the Global Studies classes Mrs. DeFrance and I teach at Westview. Everything else (like actually teaching) I'm totally good with. For whatever reason, names sometimes trip me up. Please give me some leeway! :-)

Hopefully you know by now (and if you don't, you must have been completely zoning out for the last few times that we had class together before the break and not paying attention to this blog at all since then): we will be proceeding with some pretty significant speeches on the Rwandan genocide tomorrow.

Here's the plan: I will give you the first 30 minutes of class (until 8:15) to go over your group speeches, rehearse, try to account for anyone or anything that is missing, and ask any questions. Both Mrs. DeFrance and I will be going around the room to help out as needed, and I will also try to remind those who are missing work to get it in.

Remember, I need a TYPED group copy of your planned speech - so type out your part and send it (or bring it) to a group member that has agreed to compile all of the different parts into one stapled copy. Although I can't promise a computer will be open, I will be in the classroom early tomorrow (probably at 7:00) if you or your group want to meet before class.

At 8:15, Mr. Chamberlain will arrive and the speeches will begin! I will ask for volunteers first, then start drawing names. There will be a podium set up, and Mrs. DeFrance, Mr. Chamberlain, and myself will be sitting at the main table. During the group speeches, I am going to ask that you take notes on interesting or persuasive things that are said.

After the speeches, I will hand out the individual evaluation forms. This is where you get to comment on your group members (and your) participation in this way too prolonged process. These comments will be taken into account when I assign your final grade for the unit.

Finally, if we have time, we will debrief the speeches (we may do a little in between each speech) and work on the flow chart. Then it's goodbye until next class and a watching of Hotel Rwanda!

So, for tomorrow, be sure to:

1) Have your part of the speech practiced and ready to go (meaning that it is typed and in a copy with the other members of your group). You need to speak for one minute - and try to get it so you aren't just simply reading from the paper! Put some oomph into it!

2) DRESS UP! For guys, a collared shirt would be great if possible. I'll bring a few ties with me if needed. For girls, I'm not entirely sure that I'm qualified to judge what is dressed up or not (though I suppose a collared shirt works too), but I guess I would like to see some attempt at making sure that you look and feel professional. Remember, this whole thing isn't for my benefit - by raising the stakes and making it feel like you are actually doing something about the genocide, I'm hoping that it will give everyone a sense of what it might really be like to speak out. You are speaking in front of three adults that have a lot of say in the world that you might not have right now! Make it count!

3) Bring your colonialism to genocide flow chart (the back side should have the seven pillars of colonialism written down and part of Rwanda's history with colonialism). We will work on this if we have time at the end of class - it will be homework for Thursday.

Final Speech Handout

Above is the final speech handout, which you were given in class the last time we met. Just remember that above all, I will be grading on you and your group's ability to make a coherent (meaning easy to follow), persuasive, and knowledgeable argument about what to do in Rwanda. When you step up to the podium tomorrow, it is April 24th, 1994 and you are speaking in front of possibly the only group in the entire world that can stop the ongoing genocide! Remember that!

Contact your group members! You can use this site, or call, or e-mail, or whatever, as long as - "there will be no one to stop us this time." Yes, I definitely did just use a Darth Vader quote.

See you tomorrow! I'm very excited and you should be too!

8 comments:

  1. mr. fritz...
    no matter how hard i try i cant get my part of the speech to 1min...any advice? i need help

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randi,

    Have you talked to the people that are going directly before and after you? Because a really easy way to add some time is to develop a lead in from the topic someone just talked about - or a good hand off to the topic that someone will be talking about next. Does that help? I'm glad you're working hard on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. no it doesn't really help because no one is on there email and i don't have a phone to use to call anybody even if i did have any #'s

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you could try to come early or use the time I'm giving you in class before the speech to talk to your group members and develop it. Do you have somebody that is going to put all of the speeches together into one copy in your group? Or are you planning to do that tomorrow in class?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i guess we were planing on doing that in class... i didnt hear anything about someone putting it all together and printing it out...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm. As you can see in the handout (in bold and underlined), I am asking for one stapled copy of the final group speech. So what I would do if I were you would be to type out everything that you have and that you can think of into your copy for the speech, which you will be able to staple together in class. If you want to e-mail it to me, I can possibly let you use my computer to edit it before class (or during your 30 minute prep time).

    I guess another suggestion for you to add some time tonight and stop worrying is to find some facts that go with your point (which I believe is that the UN needs to send MORE troops in, if I remember correctly) - like what the UN has the capacity to actually do. This site would be a good start: http://www.un.org/Depts/dpko/dpko/

    Remember to cite your sources, if you choose to use some! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr Fritz,
    I found the paper with the contact information of my groupmates, but I only have email addresses and my email will not cooperate with me and send a message, it only receives. But I typed out a copy of the speeches that you gave to me, and in the morning I will attach Zach's introduction. Will this work?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zack,

    The site ate my first attempt at a reply, so here it is again:

    That should work. However, the speeches I gave you today were the individual speeches that were not narrowed down to a specific point yet. Hopefully your group members will have that done this time around. If not, you really did everything you could. Just try to make the best of what you are given tomorrow. If any of your group members happen to see this message - come in early tomorrow! We need to talk about this assignment.

    See you then!

    ReplyDelete

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)