Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Period 1: Nonviolence and Gandhi, Day 5 - Class Recap


An Air India 747-400 at Newark on Sunday. If not for Gandhi, it is possible that Air India would not even exist today!

Good afternoon colleagues,

We are really getting down there to the end of the year! I think today went fairly well, though I must say that I am probably going to have to rethink what we are doing with the paper because many of you were not prepared with sources or notes. Next class, please come prepared with your homework, and we will talk one on one about how everything is going.

Essential Questions: How does conflict arise and in what ways have various people responded? How did the concept of nonviolence develop and become implemented?

Soundtrack: "Bomb the World" by Michael Franti and Spearhead. The lyrics, which I showed on the projector and read aloud in class because I thought that they were really interesting, can be found here. This song was suggested to me by Ms. V'Marie. I played it today because of the nuclear bomb test in North Korea, which we talked about in the News Brief section.

AGENDA 5/27/09:
News Brief - Exploding Nuclear Bomb (and Possible War) Edition
MLK and Gandhi
Paragraphs and Citing Sources
Rubric and Work

Homework: Notes #4 due (all other sources as well) and completed bibliography to be checked off. Read the blog and ask questions if needed!

Seriously, if you are having any questions or problems with this paper and the research, or how to do the bibliography, please ask away! I will be available on here in the comments, by e-mail, or in person!

News Brief: At the start of class, I went over the essential questions, soundtrack, agenda, and homework, then asked the class about what they did for the long Memorial Day weekend! Andrew talked about playing soccer in Florida, Jazmyne mentioned the packing up process for her, and I talked about how I was super sick over the weekend in Princeton. Still, good to have the rest!

After some good conversation here, we went on to talk about the enormous news of the weekend. I found it absolutely incredible that in both of my Global Studies classes yesterday, nobody had heard that North Korea had detonated a nuclear bomb as a test over the weekend. North Korea has also said that it will not continue to agree to the peace deal "armistice" that it signed with South Korea in 1953. Bad times. You can read all about that on really any news site. CNN.com has a special section dedicated to it, which you can find here: CNN.com - News & Videos about North Korea.

Finally, I mentioned that President Obama had selected Sonia Sotomayor to be on the Supreme Court. She has to be confirmed by the Senate now, but seems likely to be the first Hispanic (her parents were born in Puerto Rico) on the court, as well as the third woman. This is another HUGE deal, that is all over the news. Her biography can be found here: CNN.com - Who is Sonia Sotomayor?.

Brandon mentioned that there was a cyclone in Bangladesh. You can read all about that here: WashingtonPost.com - Millions displaced by cyclone in India, Bangladesh.

For the news brief section, Russel brought in these two articles: CNN.com - Pakistan: Trio held after deadly blast kills 24 and CNN.com - From Madoff to Sully, news events inspire video games. Two interesting stories (the first one being the obvious Global Studies connection)! There certainly is a lot of conflict in the world! How have various peoples responded? :-)

Zack T. volunteered to bring in a news article for Friday. Thanks!

MLK and Gandhi: I actually think this went well, though I was a little worried before class about how it would all work out. First, I had you get out your Civil Rights notes and think again about Martin Luther King Jr.'s philosophy. Then, we watched this video:


We talked about how there were aspects of his philosophy in that short video. I then handed out this article to read together: SFGate.com - Gandhi's Influence on King.

Finally, to complete the media section here, I played this video of MLK talking about Gandhi:


After all of that, we came back together and tried to identify aspects of philosophy that Martin Luther King Jr. said that he borrowed from Gandhi, while I had everyone write on the board one thing they knew about Gandhi.

This was a really productive and interesting conversation, thanks!

Paragraphs and Citing Sources: For this part of class, I had you get into base groups to talk about how things are going with the historical investigation, while Mrs. DeFrance and I went around to check off the sources that you brought in. After that, we talked about how to write a body paragraph in Social Studies, with an Introductory Statement, a Concrete Detail, another Concrete Detail, a Commentary, and a Concluding Statement. Mrs. DeFrance talked about her own investigation and body paragraph, which she did as an example on global warming.

We also talked about citing sources inside the text (for about 2 minutes, before having to do the lock down drill). Basically, my point here was that if you have the author of the article (or book) that you are working with, when you are writing your paper you need to cite them inside your paper to give them credit when you quote them or use facts from their work. For instance.

"Westview is the coolest school ever." (Fritz, 3) - In this case, I am citing myself! Remember that it goes (Author, page number). If you do not have the author of the article, it needs to be ("Title of Article"). If you do not have the page number, do not put anything in. I will try to explain this more next class.

Rubric and Work: I was able to hand out the rubric as you left the class after the drill, but we will come back to this. Read it, please!
---

I am excited for the Lakers-Nuggets game tonight (6:00, ESPN)! Other than that, I have about a million things to get done, so I will be hard at work trying to accomplish them all. I hope that you are doing the same! See you on Friday!

47 comments:

  1. Okay Question,

    If I have a TIME magazine article from the internet do I use the "article within a website" or do I use the "magazine article"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jazmyne,

    "Article within a website" unless you have the physical copy of the magazine.

    Thanks for the question!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok good that is what I used! Thanks!

    See you tomorrow :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey fritz,
    i am having a hrad time finding anything other than web sites for my paper. i am stuck and need help

    ReplyDelete
  5. C.J.,

    Websites can actually be used as your newspaper and magazine (and possibly book) sources if you look for the right ones! What is your research question? What do you want to be looking for?

    ReplyDelete
  6. my research question is: how has the declining economy affected the sport of baseball? I just cant find anything else other than web sites

    ReplyDelete
  7. C.J.,

    By doing a quick Google search for "baseball economy" I came up with these two articles:

    Magazine: ESPN Magazine - RECESS FOR BASEBALL?.

    Newspaper: New York Times - College Baseball Programs Become Casualties in Hard Times.

    Those are just a couple of examples. Use Google News to search for this stuff - it is all over the place!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok thanks. i was just not looking in the right places.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr. Fritz
    Do you now of any healt magazines that you can subscribe to? Im not gonna subscribe but just need that as a source.

    ReplyDelete
  10. mr. fritz,
    do we have to type our bibliography or just have each citation on each paper?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Abe,

    A really good way to find health magazines that talk about your topic is to search on Google! Try something like "(your topic) health magazine article" - see if that helps! If not, post your research question and we will see what we can come up with.

    Anonymous,

    I want a typed bibliography for tomorrow. Basically, just take the sources from your notes, type them (remember to single space and indent after the first line), then put them in alphabetic order. That way, the bibliography is totally done for your final paper! I will be checking it off tomorrow.

    Thanks for the questions!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what are all the four sources that are needed for tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mr. Fritz,
    I have a suggestion for a soundtrack for tomorrow. The song is called "Every Last One" by common market....lyrics found here...scroll down to the song every last one.it talks about civil rights, which is what we have touched on in class...and a fantastic song! Let me know if you are interested and I will e-mail you the mp3 file

    ReplyDelete
  14. and i also can NOT find a book source anywhere and i can't go to the library!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Mr. Fritz,

    I was looking for more recources for my paper and can only find websites. Well i found a couple books oon our library website but i was told that no books can be checked out because its the end of the year. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  16. What do you mean alphabeticly?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everyone,

    Wow, I go out to play tennis for an hour, come back, and look at the mayhem! Let's tackle this one by one.

    Scout,

    The four sources you need for tomorrow are a newspaper article, a magazine article, a book (if possible), and another source of your choosing (like CNN.com). Keep reading my responses here.

    Zack,

    Awesome, thanks for the suggestion!I actually had a suggestion from someone else in class first today, so I am going to see if the proposed song will work. I will definitely play yours at some point though!

    Brandon,

    Do not worry about finding a book. I know that it is ridiculously hard right now with the library. We are going to talk about this in class tomorrow, but just try to get as many good sources as you can. If there is no book, that is fine.

    Jazmyne,

    Alphabetically, meaning by the author's last name. So if one of your sources (cited on your papers), starts with A, it will come first. Same as if there was no author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So no author goes first?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jazmyne,

    Actually, if it is an author OR if it is the title of the article - just have them alphabetically. So the first one might be:

    "A Walk to Remember."

    Followed by:

    Clark, Jazmyne. "I am super cool."

    Sound good?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes sir. Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. mr Fritz,
    do you know any other musical talent shows around the world. i have Britain's got Talent and American Idol. i want to do a all around the world, so do you know any in Africa or Asia?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay Another question,
    I have been trying to figure out which info. I need for the bibliography for the book. I know I need city published, publisher and year. Year is the copyright, right? Then the city published, it said printed in United States, and at the bottom it gives the adress to two places, new york and london. then the publisher, it says "composition by Elizabeth Doherry: manufactering by Courier Westford." is one of those or both of those the publisher? Im confused.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Randi,

    I'm not sure, but you could check Wikipedia for different versions of the program, then come back and research it. What country specifically are you looking for?

    Jazmyne,

    In that case, the year published is the one you want (with the copyright). The publisher sounds like it would be Courier Westford in that case. New York is the city you want.

    ReplyDelete
  24. any country at this point. as long as it isn't in the Americas and Europe. sense i already have a country in both of thoughs areas.

    ReplyDelete
  25. THANK YOU SO MUCH (again) :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Randi,

    How about researching a little bit about: Indian Idol? Sounds like it would work!

    Jazmyne,

    You're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my god! its perfect! totally fits! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. omg! check this website out! its so much like American Idol! http://www.indianidol.sify.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Randi,

    I know! I'll bet there are a ton of good Indian newspaper sources about what is going on as well!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. thanks, that really helped

    ReplyDelete
  31. hey Mr. Fritz I'm having trouble finding my sources. Could you help me please???

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thuy,

    Sure! Where have you tried looking, and what searches have you done? What is your research question?

    ReplyDelete
  33. My research question is: what has the olympics done to bring the world together?
    and i already have my news article and the online article. I couldn't get to the library today so I don't have the book source.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thuy,

    I am not sure if you have read the other comments, but basically I am saying that I know finding a book source is really hard right now with the library at school closed a lot of the time. So, do not worry about a book source, if you absolutely can't find one. Instead, find other newspaper, magazine, and online articles! It sounds like you have a great start already - just find a couple more! Google News is a great search tool for finding sources...

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh okay cool. Thanks Mr. Fritz

    ReplyDelete
  36. hey Mr. Fritz,
    how do you site a website with no author or date?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Randi,

    Just leave those parts blank and start your citation with the article title (or website title) in quotation marks. Then continue on, except for where you don't have the information from.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Mr. Fritz
    Icouldnt find too much. A lot of the things were just internet articls

    ReplyDelete
  39. Abe,

    Doing a Google search for "AIDS Africa Time Magazine" brought up the following magazine article, which would probably work great for you (check out all the pages of it)!

    TIME.com - Death Stalks A Continent.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Mr. Fritz

    Thanks but i dont have a magazine source not a internet source. Sorry if i was confusing you

    ReplyDelete
  41. Abe,

    That IS a magazine source! It is online, but it definitely appeared at one time in TIME magazine's print edition, so it totally counts as a magazine source. Do you get what I'm saying? The same goes for newspaper sources - you can use the New York Times website to find newspaper articles that DO exist, but are way easier to find online.

    ReplyDelete
  42. OOHHHH

    I forgot about that. This is TIME not cnn. My bad really thanks alot. But can i email it to you and can you print it for me?

    ReplyDelete
  43. Abe,

    Since the link is already on the blog and you can find it anytime you want, can you just print it off tomorrow morning before class in the teacher's cluster? I'd rather not have to use up all the ink it is going to take to print that!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Good idea ill do that.
    Thanks again your a life saver.

    ReplyDelete
  45. hey fritz,
    i dont know if you are still up, but if you are i have a question. What if you cant find a book source? i have looked every where and found nothing

    ReplyDelete
  46. CJ,

    Yeah, I went to bed about 15 minutes before you posted this. If you read the comments before you, I am saying that you do not have to have a book source if it is impossible to find one. Just use another newspaper or magazine article.

    ReplyDelete

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)