Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Period 1: Turmoil in the Middle East, Day 17 - Class Recap


The flags of Israel and Palestine, along with the word Peace, written in Hebrew and Arabic.

Good morning amazing students!

Thank you for the class today! I really liked the participation in what we did, as well as all the really interesting news items, feedback on my handwriting (see, another reason why the blog is great), talk about the papers, Kierra's presentation, and your thoughts while watching Promises. We will continue watching the film and discussing our thoughts about it next class. Now, time for the recap!

Essential Questions: In what ways are cultures and countries interconnected? How can the Middle East be stabilized?

Soundtrack: "Look into My Eyes" by Outlandish. I read the lyrics out loud to the class, but since I know I blew by them, please check them out again and think about how it relates to the Palestinian perspective! Look into My Eyes Lyrics. Also, you can watch the really interesting and symbolic music video for the song here.

AGENDA 5/5/09:
News Brief
Talking Papers
Student Presentations
Promises

Homework: Turn in late work. Read blog recap!

Also, as we talked about in class, if you want to revise your explanation paper for the creative product, please go ahead and do that. Try to have those in by next class, if possible please!

News Brief: Wow, lots of really interesting things to talk about today! I am not sure if I can remember all of the items of interest that were brought up, but I will try. Tanya talked about a Hispanic man being killed by three white people. I am not sure if this was the event she was talking about, but right now, two white men are on trial for killing an illegal immigrant in Pennsylvania last year. That interesting article can be found here: NYTimes.com - 2 White Youths on Trial in Killing of a Mexican.

I used this to talk about illegal immigration in relation to the swine flu, and how there are some people that are trying to make the case that this flu is some sort of proof that Mexican people should not be allowed into the country, or that they are in some way being used as a biological attack, and that we should immediately close the border with Mexico. A great source for looking at this kind of talk is: MediaMatters.org - Paranoia pandemic: Conservative media baselessly blame swine flu outbreak on immigrants.

Continuing with the swine flu related talk, I pointed out some really interesting (and possibly comedic) international relations that have been strained through the flu fears: FT.com - Mexico hits at China on quarantine policy.

I mentioned that it is Cinco de Mayo today. As always, Wikipedia has a great recap (note all the sources) of the holiday:
Cinco de Mayo.

Someone noted that the Portland LumberJax, the professional lacrosse team here in town, will probably be leaving, to Ben's (and a whole lot of other people) dismay. Here's the source on that: OregonLive.com - LumberJax done in Portland, team announces. EDIT: WOW! Talk about random. Look on the sidebar in that article, and there is a post about Westview vs. Southridge Lacrosse! Apparently, here are the highlights from the game on May 2nd! Seriously, EVERYTHING is connected somehow. Ben, what is your number? :-)


We talked some more (surprise, surprise) about the swine flu and the threat of it closing down schools. I maintain that if you want school to be closed because people are getting sick with a potentially dangerous disease, YOU are the one that is really sick. :-) In fact, check out this current article about the practicality of closing schools because of the virus: CNN.com - Officials tell schools not to close for swine flu.

John brought in a news article about some of the reaction to the H1N1 flu virus in the Middle East: CNN.com - Egyptian farmers protest mandatory swine slaughter. I would have to say that I think an order to slaughter every pig, regardless of whether or not they have the flu, is probably an overreaction. That is just me though. At least they are freezing the meat and giving it back to the farmers after the threat is over. Thanks for bringing this in, John!

By the way, Jordon asked what CNN stands for. It actually stands for the really dull "Cable News Network." I noted in class that the "MS" in MSNBC stands for MicroSoft.

I'm sure there was more that we talked about too! Good stuff. I really like it when you guys are paying attention to the world around you and bringing in things to talk about! Thanks for that.

Jazmyne, please bring in a news article to talk about on Thursday. Anything currently going on outside the United States. Thanks!

Talking Papers: I used this point in class to go over what I was looking for in the explanation papers for your creative product. I know that I could have structured this better, but I think that you probably got the main points of why I thought the four papers I read aloud were good. We mentioned "specificity" (hehe), as well as basics of the conflict, a real relation to what your product was actually going to do in it, as well as being thoughtful.

To those that took the papers back to revise, thank you! It is all part of the process of growing together and knowing want each side wants. Please try to have those revised and done by next class, if at all possible.

Then, for some reason, Kierra asked me to write a sentence in all capitals on the board. We will come back to this.

Student Presentations: Kierra was the only one to go today, and reluctantly (at first) showcased her incredible painting of a perspective on the conflict. Then, she really got into it and the class kept seeing more and more symbols in the painting as well! That was fun. Books are like that too. Try telling Mr. Hardin about what you think the symbolic meaning of some of the words in books are - I bet he will be impressed!

After Kierra finished, we came back to my sentence. Apparently, she wanted to see if my handwriting was any better in capitals. It is really difficult to write in all capitals, I found! The point from the class here was well taken - that my handwriting is hard to read (for some people). Thank you for raising that as an issue! I am not particularly sure how I am going to improve on this, other than writing bigger, as well as maybe going more slowly, but hey, it is good to know. Please tell me if you can't read something I wrote! That goes for on the board, as well as any feedback I give you on papers, assignments, etc. Maybe I will have to type everything again, like I did for the Rwanda speech grades. :-)

Anyway, I really love that you guys felt comfortable enough to raise it as an issue. Duly noted. After this unit, I am going to give you back your goal sheets that you did at the beginning of the term, as well as have you do a little evaluation of my teaching and the class, like we did last term. I really value all of your feedback about everything, so thanks for that!

Promises: Okay, can I tell you how much I enjoyed this? I think there was a little confusion from how I designed the "conversation" piece to the assignment - basically, I just wanted you to write as if you were writing to one of the children in the film - but overall, this was fantastic. From what I could tell, everyone knew what was going on, was actively involved in watching the film, and had some incredibly interesting thoughts to share. I am really excited to finish this up next class! Please bring those conversation pieces to class to continue!
---

Good times. Sadly, I have no urgent sporting action that I am going to say that I am watching, and the Office update will be for Thursday's class. Thus, it appears that I am out of words. Too bad. Have a wonderful afternoon! See you on Thursday!

EDIT: It looks like I DO have some awesome sporting action to talk about! I found this video on the always amazing BlazersEdge.com - it gave me chills probably 5 different times. On a comedic side, I thoroughly enjoy the slide 1:10 in that reads "Despite of that they are winning a lot of games." That is HILARIOUS. I love it. Watch and enjoy! Think about all the potential that YOU have too! Someday! :-)

[T-10] Portland Trail Blazers - Someday [B2L] from Tom10 on Vimeo.

49 comments:

  1. Hey what kind of an ending was that? You could of said some thing like Have a great day! You are amazing! :-) (Taken from two blogs ago)

    Are we going to wach that movie next class for the whole time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abe,

    So "Have a great afternoon! See you on Thursday!" wasn't good enough? Man, I've got to step up my game, so that you feel sufficiently good enough.

    I am guessing that it will take all of next class to finish the movie and keep pausing for some reflections and talk. It might even go in to next week. After that, it is on to an entirely new topic. I just thought that the movie was too good to pass up showing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Otay

    Thanks for coming in and scaring me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was the least I could do, knowing that you were right next door!

    :-)

    Have a FANTASTIC evening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it okay if we are not quite done with our revisions? I've been really busy lately and was wondering if I could turn it to you on Friday...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jillian,

    Yes, you can wait until Friday, if absolutely necessary. I have to have your progress report grades in on Friday and I need to have all of the papers graded by then. So please don't make me do them all in a short amount of time! However, if you think you will do better work, I totally understand.

    Thanks for being willing to make sure that you do a good job! That is what I care about the most.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah me and jillian both
    i've been really busy too
    can i turn it in on friday?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Russel,

    If you are so busy that you can't make revisions to a one page paper, yes, go for Friday. If the extra time isn't going to help, I would MUCH rather you have it in tomorrow. As in, you had better have some good reasons why you are putting me in a bad position to have to grade your paper and presenation in a very condensed amount of time.

    Hope that clears it up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. well i can still try to revise it today (i think i can do it by tomorrow). its just that i dont want to make a promise that i cant deliver. but i'll try my hardest

    ReplyDelete
  10. Russel,

    Right. I get what you are saying. I am just pointing out that I need your work to be the best it can be, turned in ASAP. It should not be a question of either quality or quickness. It should be both. Especially because you have already written most of it already.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yeah
    thats true

    oh
    can i make a suggestion on a song to play?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of course! I already have the song picked out for tomorrow, but do you have something I can play next week?

    ReplyDelete
  13. the song is called Refuge (When It's Cold Outside)

    Here's the lyrics

    http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/johnlegend/refugewhenitscoldoutside.html

    I love the part when it says
    "Through all the battles, Bagdad To Israel"
    I think the class would like it

    ReplyDelete
  14. Russel,

    I'm glad you like that song, because I do too! So much, in fact, that I've actually already used it for the soundtrack before! Check out the class recap here: Nigeria, Day 3.

    I love John Legend though. Good call.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh yeah
    i remember this day
    sorry

    oh i also have another thing
    there's another picture about swine flu that i saw thats really funny
    can i bring it in
    you will laugh.......your socks off

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sure, but is there a way you can just send me a link to it on here?

    ReplyDelete
  17. i found it on my cousin's computer
    i think that he made it or something

    ReplyDelete
  18. ok mr. fritz
    im done with my paper
    the problem is that my printer is low on ink
    do you think that i can print it tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  19. Russel,

    Great! See, that wasn't too hard, was it? :-)

    Yes, come in before and print it out. Or, you can just e-mail it to me and I can do it for you.

    Thanks for the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. nawwwww
    its ok
    thanks for the offer though

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wooow, that was a good video...I like!
    And yes, that comment was very hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Archana,

    I'm glad you got to check it out! I loved it too. Here is the video on YouTube, available in high quality: Someday Video. Looking at the guy's profile on there, it looks like he is from Lithuania, explaining the language thing. Still, super cool! I am glad the Blazers have so many international fans! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Haha yeah, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Speaking of the NBA, is anyone having a hard time choosing who to root for in this Rockets-Lakers game? I keep going back and forth. I mean, I really dislike both teams now. I sort of want Mr. Hardin to be happy, at least, but really, it is hard to cheer for the Lakers. I am just sick and tired of the Rockets too.

    Great game though!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I want Lakers!!!
    Haha. The series that I don't mind too much about, is Denver vs. Mavs
    It doesn't really matter to me. But I'd rather have the Lakers move on through this one.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, and btw, Ben is number 18! I was at that game until the end of the third, and he had a hat-trick by then!

    ReplyDelete
  27. And yeah, it is hard to cheer for the Lakers at times

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's the thing... I really do want to be able to cheer for the Lakers, but it is SO difficult to do so. Heck, I've even been to Staples Center to watch the Lakers play before! Check out the picture: Staples Center with Clarke. That was two years ago during Spring Break, when Kobe was going for his fifth straight 50+ game. He got 35 on the night. It was crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oooh very nice! I bet it was crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  30. And, that is amazing that Ben had a hat trick by the end of the third! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It really was. I love Kobe's game. I just wish: a) He wasn't such a bad guy, in general. b) He didn't play for the Lakers.

    I talked about that season where the Blazers won 21 games but Clarke and I were 4-0 when we went - the last game that we went to that season was the Lakers, because I practically demanded that we drive up from Monmouth (I called it a pilgrimage) since Kobe had just scored 81 points in a game that season.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Mr. Fritz,
    How about we give a shout out to metro league baseball player of the week, our very own Mr. Carson Kelly a shout out tomorrow? There is a whole article as well as a photo in the sports section of today's Oregonian. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hahah yeah. I have gained more respect for him though. I mean, he just used to be an overall cocky jerk, and still is a bit, but I still feel like he has become more responsible and responsible now that he has a family and has become older and more experience:)
    That's why I love how the Blazers have been tough yet humble from the start:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. What?! No way! That is so awesome! I just asked him about baseball today too - he was sure it was going to be rained out today anyway!

    Here is the link, I think: OregonLive.com - Athletes of the Week.

    Heck yes, I am bringing that in to talk about.

    You guys are all seriously incredibly, do you know that? I am so lucky to get to be your teacher!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. whats the score for the rockets lakers game
    i dont have tnt

    ReplyDelete
  36. Archana,

    Yes, to all of what you said. I'm still not sold on Kobe being that responsible of a guy though. Check out this recent article, which was really amazing: ESPN.com - Rick Reilly: Commuting to Staples Center with Kobe.

    At the very least, he isn't very environmentally responsible! That is like all of Los Angeles though!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Mr Fritz
    can you print out something for bio for me?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Russel,

    79-74, Lakers. 1:30 left in the third. Here's the ESPN Box Score for you: Lakers-Rockets, Game 2.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Abe,

    Absolutely. Send it on over, and I will print it out tomorrow morning. Sound good?

    ReplyDelete
  40. Russel,
    It's 81-74 Lakers up with about a minute left in the third!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow! Derek Fisher just got ejected! That play was more like football! Scola is such a flopper though. Bad times.

    86-77, Lakers. 13.2 left in the third.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Okay, if anyone is still watching this: what the heck is supposed to be the meaning of the Sprite commercial where the guys run into each other, and then suddenly turn into Sprite and splash all over the place? Like, are they made of Sprite or something? Is that supposed to make me want to drink Sprite? I am so confused...

    ReplyDelete
  43. Haha I know, I've seen that commercial many times before, and I still flinch every time! But yeah, doesn't make too much sense to me either...

    ReplyDelete
  44. I know! I mean, I have seen that commercial, or the one where everyone is jumping into a basketball pool filled with Sprite (I think) dozens of times, but I can't figure any of it out. Refreshing? I don't think diving into some soda is my idea of that. Or, running into one of my friends and suddenly turning into liquid.

    Bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Haha yeah, most definitely!
    And I just read the article about Kobe, and hmmmm that does make you think twice.

    ReplyDelete
  46. OOOhhh, Artest is in trouble!
    Haha, what a jerk

    ReplyDelete
  47. Isn't that interesting? I also liked what Bill Simmons had to say about these new superstars really cultivating their own media images: ESPN.com - Bill Simmons: Now that jocks can talk to us directly, the press is boxed out. More fun reading for you!
    :-)

    Ron Artest: the most scary guy in the NBA. That was ridiculous. Honestly, you have no idea what he is going to do. I was really afraid for everyone else in that stadium, no joke. Glad he left. What a chaotic game! This series is going to be really intense!

    Great point by Doug Collins. We are going to hear approximately 100 whistles by the end of the game. They have to get control.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Final score: Lakers 111, Rockets 98. Thanks for stopping by, everyone! We almost set a record for comments on a thread!

    Off to print off the lesson plan tomorrow and get some sleep - see you in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  49. number 18! and my brother is number 4. he had two that night. i think one is on the video

    ReplyDelete

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)