Friday, March 1, 2013

Period 1: Revolution! Day 5 - Class Recap

This is a picture I took of Maria Sharapova carrying the flag of the Russian Federation at the Opening Ceremony of the London Olympics. The flag is different from the one the USSR had after the revolution!

Hi everyone,

I had a fun time last night making all of the content to go over today, and I think it went very well! Thank you for working with me on the "newsflash" pre-assessment and during the Russian Revolution presentation. Please see below if you missed out on anything!

Essential Questions: What brings people together? What tears people apart?

Soundtrack: “Sunday Bloody Sunday” by U2. Chosen for today because 1) this song came up last night when I was listening to my iTunes library on shuffle, and 2) because "Bloody Sunday" (not the same one as the song, but still) is a really important event in Russian history. Lyrics here.

AGENDA 3/1/13:
News Brief
Debrief Forced Choice
Newsflash
Peace, Land, and Bread

Homework: Study for quiz on Russian Revolution next class. Read the blog. Nelson, you have the next news brief.
---
News Brief: Alyssa brought in this news article to talk about: CNN.com - 18 killed as hot air balloon explodes, plummets in Egypt. Obviously an awful event. I've never been on a hot air balloon, but I have done other risky stuff, like bungee jumping! Thanks for bringing in the article, Alyssa.

Debrief Forced Choice: We devoted a few minutes after the news brief to talk about our reactions to the "forced choice" exercise, that we spent most of two days doing. I really enjoyed all of your responses. I appreciated Andrew saying that he liked the activity because it made him think of answers to questions he had never really had to consider before. That was definitely a main reason I do the activity. I also answered some of the questions myself, because I believe in being honest about my own perspective on the world. After this, I had everyone turn in the reflections on the activity, which were due as homework if you had not completed them last class.


Newsflash: This is absolutely my favorite way to start a new unit. Good teachers always try and assess where students are at before they teach any specific content (otherwise, we would have no idea if you had actually learned anything or not). If you wanted to see the hilarious "Whose Line is it Anyway?" clip again, here it is:


So awesome. Next, I passed out the "pre-assessment" paper that was geared around going back in time to Russia in 1917. If you did not complete this in class, you absolutely need to do this BEFORE going on to reviewing the presentation. If you missed class, or lost your copy (I will have you turn this in later), here it is to download and print:



Again, it does not matter if you do not know very much: make an educated guess!

Peace, Land, and Bread: After the newsflash activity, I started up the Russian Revolution content. Here is the vocabulary list that students were filling out during the presentation (the quiz will be on these terms, next class):


I helpfully three hole punched these, as well. See? I listened to your feedback about making notes easier!

Here is the main event - the PowerPoint of the basics of what happened during the Russian Revolution:


On slide 6 of the PowerPoint, I stopped and played this video from YouTube (it should start at 41:11 in, and we watched almost to the end) about the process of how Lenin was able to come back to Russia from his exile, with the help of Germany during World War I.

I finished the presentation with about two minutes left in class, so I hope that I gave enough time for everyone to finish writing the notes, balanced with my need to make sure I was able to get through the entire presentation, so you had all the terms for the quiz next class.

We definitely packed quite a lot into class today. I hope it was all clear! Absolutely ask me questions if you are at all confused or need clarification. I really appreciated your focus and attention today. Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)