Thursday, March 7, 2013

Period 1: Revolution! Day 7 - Class Recap


The news brief today was about Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez dying. This is a picture of the Venezuelan embassy in Aruba, which is very close to the coast of Venezuela. I remember seeing Chavez on TV when I visited in 2011!

Dear class,

We had sort of a relaxed day today, I think. Lots of talking about the news and what is going on around the world, the quiz, and some work with Soviet propaganda. Make sure to have any missing work in to me by tomorrow, for your progress report grade!

Essential Questions: What brings people together? What tears people apart?

Soundtrack: “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” by U2. Selected for today because it is (or was, growing up) one of my brother's favorite songs growing up. It is his 25th birthday today! Also chosen because not all of my students are being successful, which means we still have work to do. Lyrics here.

AGENDA 3/7/13:
News Brief/OPVL
Quiz Talk
Propaganda Posters
Work Time/Grade Check

Homework: Read the blog! Turn in any missing work for better progress report grades! Daniel K. has the next news brief.
---
News Brief/OPVL: Anthony brought in this article to talk about with the class (a really important world news story): CNN.com - What's next? Chavez's death leaves many questions. We talked about Hugo Chavez and I showed three dramatically different opinions about him, as a way of looking at Origin, Purpose, Value, and Limitation.

Continuing with our discussion about privacy during forced choice, I talked the newest rules for what you can take on planes that are going into effect and showed the official TSA website regulations with the update.

We also talked about the story of a Portland man being arrested in connection to a 2009 suicide bomber in Pakistan: KGW.com - FBI: Portland man connected to '09 Pakistan suicide attack.

Plenty going on in the world!

Quiz Talk: I passed back your Russian Revolution vocabulary quiz and we had a somewhat spirited discussion about the results (the class average was 3.1 out of 5, which is a 62%). I was wondering what else I could be doing to help you be successful in the future with these. Obviously something went wrong, even with me giving you the vocabulary words to study for the test, the entire weekend to study, this website with the presentation and vocab to review, AND time in class right before the quiz to study. As I said in class, I take it personally when students are not successful. Let me know how I can help you do better in the future, if this was something you really struggled with.

Propaganda Posters: The next part of class was devoted to checking out some examples of Soviet Union propaganda (it is nice that you already knew what propaganda meant from studying Rwanda) and filling out a worksheet with each slide, then creating your own example on the back. If you missed class, or wanted to add to your worksheet, here is the presentation:


Here is the worksheet that goes along with the presentation:


After viewing all of the slides and filling out the worksheet, I gave the class this assignment: 

On the back side of the propaganda poster worksheet, you are creating your OWN Russian poster. Please use at least two symbols. Try to connect to at least one of the vocabulary words. You do not have to use Russian. Use a English caption, please.

This is NOT homework, unless you need to get a good start on it. We will finish these in class next week.

Work Time/Grade Check: For the last section of class, I checked in with students about grades (and invited students to look at your updated grades posted on the classroom board) and gave time to work on either the propaganda poster or make up work. All late and/or missing work for progress reports is due in to me by tomorrow! Grades have to be posted before school on Tuesday morning. Since there is no class on Monday, this means I will be entering in grades tomorrow (Friday).

Please comment or email if you have any questions! Have a great long weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)