Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Period 1: Revolution! Day 6 - Class Recap

I told the class today that part of my weekend (aside from chatting with a guy in an HP call center in the Philippines) was watching the Portland Timbers season opener vs. the New York Red Bulls. I've actually been to Red Bull Stadium (it's in New Jersey) for a USA vs Ecuador "international friendly" match in 2011.

Dear class,

Another good day, in my estimation! I have not looked at the majority of the quizzes yet - I hope that you did well! I should be able to get them back to you next class. Here's what we did today:

Essential Questions: What brings people together? What tears people apart?

Soundtrack: “Mother Russia” by Renaissance. Chosen for today because of the obvious connection to what we are learning about. Also, Renaissance is a really great band. Lyrics here. A little more about the composition of the song here.

AGENDA 3/5/13:
News Brief
Pop Quiz, Hotshot
OPVL
Game Time

Homework: Read the blog! Anthony has the next news brief.
---
News Brief: I asked the class about your weekends and then told everyone a little about my experience buying a new laptop and setting it up with the help of a guy in the Philippines. It was good times, aside from being crazy frustrating that it would not work for quite a while. Then, Nelson came in with this news article: CNN.com - Blast kills 42, wounds dozens in Pakistani city of Karachi. I talked a bit about the different sects in Islam (like Catholics and Protestants in Christianity), which are Sunni and Shia. There is often violence between those two groups. Remember the forced choice question on religion? In this case, the bombers not only believe that their religion is the one correct one, they believe that their particular branch or way of thinking about their religion is the one correct one.

Pop Quiz, Hotshot: After the news brief, I gave the class a few minutes to study up for the Russian Revolution vocab quiz, as I passed back your forced choice reflections. Your updated grades are posted by student ID number on the board. No excuses for you to not know exactly what you need to do!

I'm not going to recap the quiz itself, other than to say that I hope everyone did well. If you were following along during the presentation and did your homework to review, I'm sure you were fine.

OPVL: After the quiz, I introduced a new way to think about various different documents in history. I used the textbook as an example. OPVL stands for Origin, Purpose, Value, and Limitation. Your assignment was to take the paper I handed out in class and go through the four documents on each side of the room to assess them. If you missed class, or needed to complete this outside of class, here are the links to both the OPVL sheet and the documents I posted:




Let me know if this assignment is at all unclear. You will be turning this in as part of the Russian Revolution packet later, so please keep it with you or in your folder in class!

Game Time: At the end of class, I introduced a game that I really like to play with my global studies classes - the World Map quiz. The record so far this year is 121 in about 13 minutes (how much time you had), by Period 2. You were able to get to 117 before class ended. Funny how people were demanding that we keep going, haha! We will come back to this later, I'm sure. For now, practice away! I have managed to get all 197 in 15 minutes once or twice (a couple of years ago). My current record in the last month or so (I haven't played in a while) is something like 170. Here's the game:


I loved the energy and enthusiasm here! My thanks to Rachael for being my assistant caller (I think it was pretty obvious what would happen if I didn't have someone helping - people just yelling at me, haha.

See you on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)