Thursday, December 4, 2008

Period 1: Extra Credit Opportunity and Preview for Tomorrow

UPDATE II: The Rwanda part just finished airing. It is absolutely perfect for what I was planning for class tomorrow, so we will be watching it together (if I can tape it later tonight) and not reading the article, as I said we would be doing. The extra credit assignment still applies for the rest of the documentary. I STRONGLY encourage everyone to watch it later tonight (at 9:00), even if you do not want to write up a response. See you in the morning...

UPDATE: The CNN special is also airing early, because it is on right now (6:15 P.M. - it will repeat at 9). If you don't want to stay up late to watch, it would probably be a good thing for you to check it out this time around. So far, it is incredible! Keep in mind those questions I asked below as you watch, should you choose to. :-)


---

Good afternoon class,

Amazingly enough, the genocide in Rwanda is getting some attention on the news tonight at 9:00 PM! CNN (channel 44 if you have Comcast) will be airing a documentary called "
Scream Bloody Murder" which will deal with parts of the Rwandan genocide and others that have happened in the recent past (or are still going on). A few words of caution: it is likely that the documentary may be pretty gruesome. This tends to be the case with reports on genocide. However, I can almost guarantee it will be worth watching. I am going to have the class read an article on General Romeo Dallaire (who will be featured in the special) tomorrow as well, so you might as well know about him ahead of time.




Here's the plug from the site that I linked to above:

CNN's Christiane Amanpour traveled to the world's killing fields to understand the world's indifference, even as courageous voices tried to "Scream Bloody Murder." A worldwide investigation and two-hour documentary, premiering on CNN/US at 9 p.m. ET/PT December 4 and on CNN International at 0200 GMT December 5.

Again, the questions are: Why is it that people do not care more about this? What can we do to prevent genocide in the future? How can we speak up about stopping conflict? With that in mind, I will give 5 points of extra credit (a normal assignment, like your letter to me, due tomorrow, is 10 points) to anyone that watches the special and types a one page response about what it had to say in regards to the genocide in Rwanda and my above three questions. Or, you could just watch it, not write anything, then come tell me about it tomorrow and I will be seriously impressed as well. That works too. If you do not have cable (and are unable to be at a place that does and is showing the special) and would still like to try and watch it, please let me know. I will likely be able to find a way for you to watch it or something else to write a quick report on.

As for the preview for tomorrow: here's what the class impressions of Europe look like, in Wordle form (I'll explain what that means tomorrow - but basically, the bigger the word, the more you guys wrote it):



Have a great night - try to watch the documentary! See you in class tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Will we still get extra credit if we tell you about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandon,

    No, you will not. I have to have some sort of proof you actually watched it to give you credit. However, as I said, if anyone in class is able to tell me about what happened in the documentary, I will be seriously impressed. So there's your incentive.

    You will probably also do better in class when we are talking about this (and doing your final assignment before break) if you watch it, I am guessing. Thanks for asking!

    - Mr. Fritz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww my mom took over the tv for Gray's Anatomy. Now i cant watch it.

    ReplyDelete

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)