Sunday, December 14, 2008

Sunday Scribbles: Snow, Speeches, and School

UPDATE II (4:15 PM Monday): NO SCHOOL tomorrow (Tuesday, Dec. 16th). There is also a huge storm likely on Wednesday. Please check back here tomorrow evening for instructions on the speech/other things going on in class, when I have a better idea of whether or not we will have class. Enjoy another day off responsibly! :-)

UPDATE (4:15 PM): Beaverton School District schools and facilities are CLOSED tomorrow, Monday, Dec. 15th. Enjoy the day off - stay safe and warm - make good decisions! See you Wednesday! Follow option D below!

Greetings students!

If you have been living in a cave for the last day, let me be the first to let you know: it's snowing. Like, a lot. As in, I have 2.5 inches on my back deck already.

So, what does this mean? For one, I think for the first time in my entire life, I am conflicted about a snow day. See, I am a HUGE fan of snow. I always waited up late at night, calculating the chances of snow and getting a day off school. So it is really weird that I am actually really sad about the possibility of school being cancelled, because I am also so incredibly excited to see what you guys have come up with for your group speeches.

Because I know everyone is wondering what the possible situations are, let me break them down for you:

A) The snow is sufficiently gone so that school operates on a full schedule tomorrow, and I am able to make it out. Remember, I live in the Portland hills - on Mt. Sylvania, near Lake Oswego. We are at about 800 feet in elevation. Meaning that I am getting completely slammed here and something dramatic is going to have to happen in order for me to be able to make it out and to class tomorrow. In this scenario, that dramatic melting happens tonight.

In this case: Class will be held as we planned. I will need all the group speeches typed up and handed in after we do all of the speeches in class. Dress up (though make your priority dressing warmly - it is going to be cold all week!) and be prepared to address the United Nations.

B) The school operates on a normal schedule, but I am unable to make it out. This is probably the second most likely situation. Like I said, it is pretty bad here, and since I live in the hills, it is very hard to get out with any snow on the ground. I will probably try, but it will be difficult.

If this happens, Mrs. DeFrance (if she can make it out) will probably just work on your speeches with you, or do some sort of other cool activity. Plan to give your speeches on Wednesday (I do not know if Mr. Chamberlain will be able to come on Wednesday, but Mrs. DeFrance and I are really excited to see them, so we are definitely doing them!) and dress up again on that day.

C) The Beaverton School District decides to have a two-hour late opening. This may be somewhat more likely than A.

In this case: I believe that you will not have my class, because it will be wiped out by the late opening - you would go to your third period class when school opens. If there is a two hour late opening, it is pretty unlikely that I will be able to come into school, so just
e-mail me if you need any help with anything.

D) The district decides to close for Monday. I happen to think that this is probably the most likely outcome as it stands right now - though be sure to check out the school closure list in the morning here:


Oregon School Closure Information

If this is the case, continue working on your group speeches (but do NOT gamble on having extra time - the speeches should be done by tomorrow). Basically, just pretend that Monday is now moved to Wednesday (which means we will have less time to watch Hotel Rwanda before break, which I am not excited about, but I think I'll live with). Check this blog for updates. If you want me to review your speech, either e-mail me or come see me on Tuesday if we have school (I think Tuesday is a B day no matter what) and I am able to make it out.

There are some students that did not turn their individual speech to me by Friday. Unfortunately, this means that you will not be able to participate in the group speeches - I will ask you to do an individual assignment for in-class participation, but you will lose out on the 50 points that come along with the speech. You knew the rules quite clearly. Unless there is some sort of extraordinary circumstance which prevented you from turning it in, you are going to have a VERY difficult time making it up. Your actions have consequences. You are in high school - it's time to grow up and do your work on time, especially when I went out of my way to try and help you out.

For everyone else: thank you for working so hard! You guys definitely deserve any sort of fun that this little blizzard brings.

Most importantly: continue to work hard, have fun, be safe and responsible out there! Let me know if you have any questions, concerns, or comments! Have a great day! :-)

11 comments:

  1. ey mr. fritz if we couldnt type our group speech can we tourn in our own part together collectivly. By the way im sorry about your snow situation. hope youre doing alright. have fun in the snow and wach football

    p.s im doing fine thanks for asking

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abe,

    I'm not sure what you are asking, but I need one group copy of everything that you guys had planned on saying. If there is not one typed copy, I will need you to combine all of the different final copies of what you are going to say (remember, this is different from the individual speech) into one stapled copy.

    How's the snow where you are?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok the snow is great here i havnt gotten a chance to go out because its soooooo cold. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr Fritz,
    I believe that three of my group members still did not finish their individual speeches, so would it be okay if my group just turned in all of our individual speeches and highlight the part that we actually presented?
    p.s. I lived in Bend for 5 and a half years and this is nothing compared to how it snows there...but I understand that people get nervous about driving for the first time in the snow.
    Good luck and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zack,

    Actually, there were two students in your group that did not turn the speech in. In any case, I am still going to require your group to do one speech. Your groups speech should be pretty good - you have 4 members that turned it in, and from the 3 I've seen, they look pretty good. I'm sorry that your other group members let you down, but make the best of it.

    Also, the thing about snow in Portland that makes it different from a lot of other places are the hills around as well as the ice that builds up quickly.

    Enjoy the day off tomorrow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. Fritz,
    Alright I will make sure that we turn in one speech to you. Have they officially made tomorrow a day off? The link on the blog is not working on my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zack,

    Yes, it is official. If you want, turn on your TV and watch the bottom line scroll across on any of the local channels - it will come up. Basically every school in the area is closed.

    See you Wednesday, hopefully! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr. Fritz,
    Okay thanks for your help. See you Wednesday and have a great day off tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. woooooooooo
    no skooooooooooool
    yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

    sorry mr. fritz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mr. Fritz,

    Do you think we will have school at all this week with the new storm system rapidly approaching?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brandon,

    Honestly, I think there is a pretty good chance that we won't have school this week and you guys will wind up just having an extra long break. It seems to me that if we DO have a day, it will be either a "go home early" day on Wednesday, or a "wow, everything went back to normal really fast" day on Friday, before another storm hits on Sunday. It's also possible that the next storm completely misses us and the temperatures rise enough so there isn't so much ice on the roads.

    Those options don't seem especially likely to me. Let me show you part of the district e-mail to the teachers:

    "The decision to close was based on several criteria. First, the frigid temperatures and the condition of neighborhood roads put students and staff at risk. Secondly, diesel fuel gels at 15 degrees, and Tuesday's high temperatures are predicted to be in that range.

    It sounds like a significant storm is forecasted for Wednesday, so we will keep you informed regarding the remainder of the week."

    I think they meant Tuesday's LOW temps being in the range of 15 degrees, but the point still stands. Since the next storm is forecasted to be on Wednesday night, I think the district MIGHT just opt to cancel the whole week. We'll see what happens - stay tuned tomorrow night to see what the district says. Until that time, keep enjoying the unexpected break! Be safe out there! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)