Tuesday, December 16, 2008

See you next year?

FINAL UPDATE FRIDAY 5:15 AM: The Beaverton School District has just posted the following -

"Schools CLOSED to Students and Staff, Friday (12/19/2008). All Activities and Events Cancelled. Administration Facilities Open to Essential Staff."

In addition, part of the e-mail from the administration states:

"The decision to close is based on student and staff safety. While we are not expecting moisture today, the low temperatures have made the side roads extremely hazardous. Our ability to transport students safely would be compromised.

A review of instructional time will be conducted in January to determine if days will need to be made up in order to meet State instructional time requirements."


Go back to bed. :-) Have a fantastic and restful long break - those speeches had better be amazing by the time we get back! Please e-mail me or comment if you need any help at all, or just want to check in during your time off. Come back refreshed and ready to go for 2009!

UPDATE FRIDAY 12:20 AM: Wonderful students, it was great to be able to get home just now and see all your comments about the speech, the game, and school. I'm sorry I couldn't post them as they were coming - I can assure you the Blazer game was absolutely incredible, and now my voice is hoarse. As far as tomorrow goes, here's part of the e-mail the teachers got:

"No decision will be made regarding the status of school operations until Friday morning. Our greatest concern at this time is not the weather but the possibility of black ice on side roads and at higher elevations. A team will be driving the roads at 3:30 a.m., and a decision will be posted before 5:30 a.m."

I'm glad that the district is doing this, though it definitely is a pain to wake up so early to find out about school. Here's what I'm going to tell you guys (after looking at the comments as well as taking into account my situation here at my house, which is definitely still snowed in): If there is class today, BRING YOUR SPEECHES. No matter what, we will work with them. Now, I find it pretty doubtful that I will be able to make it in, and I also find it somewhat unlikely that the district will decide to have school, considering all the information about what is likely to happen tonight. It was already 32 degrees in downtown Portland when I left the game this evening and it is going to get colder.

Whether or not I am able to make it in, Mrs. DeFrance will work with you guys on your speeches. I don't think it's fair to ask you to do them the day before break, and I also don't think it is fair to watch half of Hotel Rwanda, coming back to it much later. We will do both the week we get back from break. Continue working on them with your group over the break! They had better be close to perfect! Ask me for any help you may need!

I will be up early to check online about school and will post an update as soon as I know at the top of the page. Thanks for paying so much attention to this all! Go Blazers! Brandon Roy for MVP! :-)

UPDATE THURSDAY 4:00 PM: It looks to be a similar sort of situation to last night. Here's part of the e-mail I just received:

"The Beaverton School District is closely monitoring changing conditions, and consulting with our local and national weather services to make a call for Friday. No decision has been made at this time. We will decide by 10:00 p.m. tonight (Thursday) or may wait until 5:00 a.m. tomorrow (Friday) morning."

So, keep paying attention! Have those speeches ready just in case! :-) In the meantime, read this article on some of the main perpatrators of the Rwandan Genocide finally being found guilty in the International Criminal Court TODAY - over 14 YEARS since the acts we are studying in class! Slow justice indeed.

CNN.com: Trio found guilty of Rwandan genocide

UPDATE at 9:30 PM: As Archana just pointed out in the comments (before I even knew, by the way, which is pretty amazing), the Beaverton School District has decided to cancel school tomorrow, Thursday, Dec. 18th. Please make sure to watch for tomorrow night's decision as well, but until then, enjoy another day off! Please stay safe and warm out there! Watch the Blazer game tomorrow night if you want - I'm hoping to make it out to be there! :-)

UPDATE WEDNESDAY 5:15 PM: For those wondering about when/if the district will decide about school on Thursday, this is part of the e-mail from the district administration I just received:

"The Beaverton School District is closely monitoring the national weather forecast and consulting with our local weather service to make a call for Thursday. No decision has been made at this time. We will decide by 10:00 p.m. tonight or may wait until 5:00 a.m. tomorrow morning. We need more information on the cold weather pattern that may be developing."

There you have it. I'll post again when I hear about any decision that is made. See, I told you the blog would be useful... :-)


The view outside my window at home in Portland,
during last year's Christmas Day snow.

Dear students,

With the Beaverton School District deciding to cancel school Wednesday, barring some sort of miraculous turn of events in the weather, I think it is now doubtful that you will be coming to class again in 2008. Please be sure that you keep checking the school closure updates each night, but for now, it certainly looks like having school will be unlikely. Friday is the last possible day that you could have my class.

What this means for our class: I will have to keep talking to Mrs. DeFrance, the administrators at Westview, and my professors at Lewis and Clark to determine what we are going to do, but for now, here's what we have come up with:

IF there is class on Friday:
Be prepared to roll with the group speeches. Dress up (but be warm, first and foremost!) I doubt that Mr. Chamberlain will be able to come in, but we might be able to find another person to help out. We will try to do as much as possible.

IF there is NO class on Friday:
Have a wonderful long break! We will be doing the speeches the first day you get back from break, so practice in front of the mirror, in front of your parents - make your part PERFECT! Continue to work on them. I think we are just going to continue with the plan that I had originally made - because I think watching Hotel Rwanda is a very important way to end the unit.

Keep checking this blog! I will almost certainly keep writing and giving little extra credit assignments (like the one I posted already) throughout the break. If you see something that might be related to the class, please let me know!

If you do not have your individual speech in: I need it in, ASAP. Please
e-mail me immediately if you have not turned it in. You will not be a part of the group's speech, but I do need some sort of proof that EVERYONE has actually learned something about the genocide, and you will get credit for doing the individual portion of the speech.

Finally, please let me know if you have any questions or comments about what is going on. I hope that every one of you is staying safe and warm! Have another great day off! Keep checking back during the next few days! :-)

25 comments:

  1. YESSSS! The Blazers came back with some sweet revenge after a couple of tough losses! One thing that bugs me though, and it probably bugs me more than it does Roy, is that Nate McMillan didnt't put Roy back in the game when he had 29 points and needed only 1 more to tie Clyde Drexler's record of 4 games in a row with 30 points or more! Gahh! This made me mad, and it's not neccessarily the most important thing, but hey, how cool would that have been?! Whatever, BLAZERS ROCK!!! My heroes:D
    ~Archana

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would have been great, but Brandon will have plenty of chances to get that record, trust me. He's been absolutely dominant recently. :-) They all played great tonight! I especially loved the free throw % - just goes to show what a little rest and concentration will do!

    I'll be at the Suns game on Thursday (if at all possible - I haven't been out of my neighborhood since Sunday, so I might not) which will be a really big test!

    Have another great day off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi mr.fritz. how are you doing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Abe!

    I'm doing well - very rested after all these days getting to sleep in! I have enjoyed the snow by doing a little sledding the past few days, but since I can't get out of my very snowed in neighborhood, I've been a little bored. Right now, I'm trying to figure out if we will have school tomorrow. How are you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. NO SCHOOL! yayyyy! haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha sorry Mr. Fritz, I was just pretty excited about that, so I wanted to post it:) Anyway, I've been pretty bummed too cause our TV's broken, and so I had to listen to the Blazer game on the radio! haha but it's alright. And so I'm going to have to listen to Thursday's game on the radio too. That will be a tough game, but we can take them:) Oh! And even though it is on Christmas day, I might be going to the game against Dallas! I;m wayyy excited and that's a pretty cool gift if you ask me! So I'm pumped!!!
    ~Archana
    Blazers rock!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh and by the way, I do not just sit around and stare at the computer to see if we have school or not, but i just came over and pressed the refresh button haha. So no, I am not psycho!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Archana,

    I was just impressed that you were actually paying enough attention to it that you knew exactly where to get the information before I did - which is probably like 100% of your classmates, who, I feel pretty confident in saying, are all pretty obsessed with finding out about school being cancelled or not. I know I was in high school! Good job in being the first! :-)

    Sometimes listening to the games on the radio is even better than watching! Brian Wheeler has a fantastic voice for the radio. It's a really big game tomorrow, the Suns have almost the same exact record that we do. Hopefully we can stop the losing streak to them!

    Have another fantastic day off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey mr. fritz is pcc closed tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Abe,

    I just got your message, but it looks like all PCC campuses are opening at 10 AM today. So a two hour late opening, that is it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mr. Fritz,
    Quite honestly it is sickening that it took 14 years to convict ANYONE in the murdering of 800,000 people! That is ridiculous! At least it happened eventually though; Better late than never, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Mr. Fritz,
    Speaking for my fellow classmates, we wanted to request that we do the speeches when we come back from break and that we would like to watch Hotel Rwanda tomorrow (if we have school)! I do have some VALID reasons as to why we should do this. If we watch Hotel Rwanda, then I think the movie will INSPIRE us to put more PASSION into our speeches when we actually SEE what's happening. It will also PROVIDE us with more KNOWLEDGE about the genocide. Oh and don't worry, you have taught us a lot about it already, but this will just be like an extra boost. And last but not least, even though this is not the most important reason ;-), watching a movie is possibly one of the BEST ways to start a great winter vacation!
    So, I hope you take our request into consideration, and we know you will make the correct decision :) hint: read over this a couple times until it really settles in!
    ~ Archana :)
    OH! And on a personal note, I would LOVE to be able to listen to the Blazer game without having to be nervous about the speech!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with Zack! He pretty much said everything I would have said!
    It is hard to believe, but at least people are starting to realize how terrible it is!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey i read the article about the 3 guys. zach is right thats sickening that it takes them this long to find the people that did this. how come this happened that it took them this long to figure that out? And are we having sckool tomorrw? what are the chances?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mr. Fritz,

    Have you received any word on weather or not we will have school on friday yet?

    ReplyDelete
  16. WE DID ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BRANDON ROY...THE NATURAL!!!
    THE BLAZERS...MY HEROES!!!
    AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGG THRILLERRRR!
    Blazer history for Roy! Losing streak, overrr!
    I LOVE THEM!!!
    ~Archana
    (I have no idea what else to say, except for, you're soo lucky you are there)!
    MY HEROES FOREVER AND EVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. mr. fritz do we have school or is it see ya next year? if we do have school is it an A day or a B day? i gotta know. BLAZERS WON OMG YESSSSSS, How many points did brandon roy, the natural, the river, the golden boy, the savior, the messhia, the obama of the blazers have somthing like 52 good ones? IVE GOTTA BE DREAMING. SOMEBODY PINCH RIGH NOW

    ReplyDelete
  18. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! MR.FRITZ! ONE OF MY BEST FRIENDS JUST GAVE ME A SIGNED PICTURE OF BRANDON ROY!!!!!!!!!!!!HE VISITED HER DAD'S WORK AND SIGNED IT! I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ECXITED! HE'S MY HERO! NOW I HAVE ROY AND OUTLAW'S PICTURE SIGNED! SORRY BUT IM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY! I EVEN GET TO GO TO THE GAME ON CHRISTMAS DAY! THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST GIFTS EVERRRRRR!
    I LOVE THE BLAZERS.......

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's amazing Archana!

    Congratulations! I might get to go visit the Blazers locker room this break before a game... any other player requests if I get the chance? Enjoy the Christmas Day game - let's beat Denver twice before it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. haha you are sooo lucky! that's so cool! Hmmmm, player requests? That would be too many from me! haha but I don't mind. That would just be so amazing if you could get more signatures. Thanks! haha

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yeah, I'm not sure if it will happen, but I might try (if possible) to get someone from the Blazers to record something from the class. I'm dreaming big after that game last night!

    Enjoy the vacation - keep working on that speech! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have three and a half inches of snow in my neighborhood!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Brandon,

    We have at least 5 inches here, much more in drifts. It's piling up quickly! More time to keep perfecting those speeches! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. And I made a rootbeer snow cone. Is that smart or what?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Mr. Fritz,
    Have you had a good break so far?
    I have some exciting news! When I went to the game on Christmas, the friends I went with knew Brian Wheeler, so we got to go "backstage" or whatever you want to call it, and I got a signature from Webster(I even talked to him:-P) and Jerryd Bayless, and Nicolas Batum! <--his hand touched my head! haha and I got some pics of Batum, Bayless, and Dirk Nowitzki! I had an amazing Christmas.
    Hope we can beat the Raptors tonight...again! Go Blazers!!!
    -Archana

    ReplyDelete

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)