Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Period 1: Turmoil in the Middle East, Day 15 - Class Recap


Jasper, one of my cats. We learned today from Scout, Morgan, and McKenzie that animals help bring people together! :-)

Hello and welcome to another class recap!

Today was fun! I was super impressed with most of your presentations, though I must confess the real thing that I am looking for it how you are going to connect what you did with the conflict in Israel, which you wrote about in your explanation paper. On Friday, we will continue the presentations, so come prepared please - even if your name got called and you did not have anything today.

Essential Questions: In what ways are cultures and countries interconnected? How can the Middle East be stabilized? - Today was all about answering both of these questions!

Soundtrack: "Sweet Emotion" by Aerosmith. Chosen because today had a lot to do with the emotional pull on people, and because it is a great rock song.

AGENDA 4/29/09:
News Brief
Student Presentations

Homework: Watch President Obama's address to the nation tonight (5 PM). Dress to go outside on Friday. Read blog recap!

Today marks 100 days since President Obama took office. While it is a completely symbolic day, mostly generated by the media, the President is addressing the nation at a primetime news conference tonight at 5:00 PM. This will be on just about every network imaginable, including ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, FOX News, CSPAN, Telemundo (actually not sure about that, but I wouldn't be surprised)... you name it. Except for the regular FOX network, which controversially decided to show "Lie to Me" instead. I will be in class at Lewis and Clark (for the last time this year, until summer!) from 4:30 to 7:30, so I will not be able to watch it live, just like most of you, I am guessing. Thus, I will post a link to the video when I get back. Please remember to be noting what the President has to say about our relations with the rest of the world!

UPDATE: Here's the video and here's the transcript to read, if you can't watch it.


I am sort of guessing that we may have most, if not all of the class next time devoted to presentations, but should we be finishing in good time, and it is nice out, we are going to go explore the world a little bit. By "explore the world" I mean probably take a walk out to the football field or baseball diamond, sit down, and do a little creative writing. So please be prepared for that, if it should happen.

News Brief: I really love how this class seems like it is tuned in to the news! We had some good topics brought up, like the swine flu and the "Placebo Effect." I'm sure there were other ones in there too, like the fun event that happened last night and will happen again tomorrow night, but I can't remember at this point. The flu symptoms are starting to kick in... ;-)

Oh! I remember one of those topics, related to the panic over the swine flu. I mentioned that there has been a huge increase in the amount of guns and ammunition bought in America since Barack Obama's election. Because I like to be able to give you sources when I say stuff like that, here it is: ABCNews.com - Demand for Ammo Depletes Stores' Stock.


Thuy brought in this news article to talk about: CNN.com - Sri Lankan army claims key rebel strongholds. Remember that Sri Lanka is an island country just to the south of India. The conflict it was describing was between the Tamil Tigers and the Sri Lankan government. The quote from the end of the article really struck me:

UNICEF, which called the situation in the north a "catastrophe for children," said the displaced lack food, water and basic medical supplies.
advertisement

The rebels estimate the number of civilians still in the territory at more than 160,000.

The Tigers have been fighting for an independent state in Sri Lanka's northeast since 1983. As many as 70,000 people have been killed since the civil war began, and the group has been declared a terrorist organization by 32 countries, including the United States and the European Union.

Just crazy. More than ever, we need to be able to come together and stop conflicts. Luckily, we had the next part of class to start!

Student Presentations: As I said above, generally, I was pretty pleased with these, despite the technical difficulties with some. I am not going to go through and recap them all, but I definitely appreciated everyone's attempts to get people to come together. I am very interested in those connections that you made to the conflict in your explanation paper as well.

For those that were interested in the song that Jazmyne had us dance to, it can be found in the amazing video here.


Remember, at the end of class I asked you to turn in a skills packet (come see me if you need another copy) and the explanation papers. If you need the papers back to help you if you didn't go today, just ask. Also, if you had something tangible (meaning a physical creative product), I want that too. If you did a PowerPoint or something else with the computer, please e-mail me it. Thanks!
---

There may or may not be an event that I will be watching tomorrow night at 6:30 on KGW and TNT. Mrs. DeFrance has convinced me to go all out tomorrow as far as our apparel choices at school, and since I have not done that at all for any game this series, I figure it can't hurt. So come see us tomorrow and smile!

Also, The Office will be guaranteed to make you laugh and smile not matter what else happens on Thursday night. It is on at 9:00 PM on NBC.

I think that should about do it! Is this the shortest class recap of all time? I'm sure some of you would not mind if is was! Keep up the enthusiasm and questions in the comments! We are on streaks of 40+ comments for the last three posts!

Have a great day! You are amazing! :-)

14 comments:

  1. Mr. Fritz,
    do you think that you could get a t.v. in class on friday so we can show a video. its an older camera so we can't get it onto a disk or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandon,

    I will see what I can do. What kind of video is it going to be? Like a tape? Or something where you have to hook in the red, white, and yellow prongs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. well it will be an 8mm video cassete but i can plug the camera into the t.v. via red yellow and white cords.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brandon,

    I believe that the projectors actually have slots for that, so it should work to just play it on there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW today was BOMBtasitic! lol It was a lot of fun! Just wondering if you got my powerpoint

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jazmyne,

    I did, thanks! Yes, I really liked how you got (most of) the class up and moving! A great touch.

    See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so im excited for going outside tomorrow (hopefully) and i was just wondering if you watched our whole video again because you missed some pretty FUNNY parts becuase it was so dang quiet

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scout,

    I hope we get to go outside too! But more than that, I hope we have some great presentations to finish strong. I think we will.

    I haven't had the chance to watch your video again yet, because I gave it to Mrs. DeFrance to watch first - since she was in the back, she couldn't hear a thing and wanted to know what you guys were saying. I am going to get it from her and watch it this weekend! I'm excited! :-)

    Note to all of the fans of the group of people that might be participating in an event tonight in Houston: I will not be online from about 5:00 to 9:00, so I will not be able to post any comments. By all means, fire away if you have something to say - I'll read them all when I get back and get online. Let's enjoy the evening!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey you've probably already heard, but they found a case of swine flu in Oregon right in Multnomah county. If you want to read about it, go to kgw.com and it's the main story. I'm not really worried about it but it's definitely like awakening to know that it's happening right here in Portland.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mr Fritz,
    I'm going to need my explanation paper when i present my project 2maro.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Blazers Mr. Fritz! Yes, it wasn't the way we wanted to end the series, but hey, our goal was to make the playoffs and we did it! I'm soooo proud of them, and as Charles Barkley just said, "This Trail Blazer team has a bright future."
    I just can't wait for the next season, and I could not have asked for a better one this year!
    Blazers = My heroes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to stay positive Arch!

    I am super proud of this team too - a fantastic season, considering where we were last year at this time. I didn't get to hear Charles Barkley, because I was walking out of the restaurant I watched the game at right after the final whistle, but he is right.

    Obviously, we will have to talk some about this in class, but my thoughts are pretty much this: you cannot deny the progression of this team in the past three years. This year was just another part in that. The amount of hard work our young team has put in is nothing short of amazing. Truly an inspiring thing to watch.

    I wish it were next season already!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Couldn't have put it any better myself!
    We'll talk tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i was actually scared that blazers would win today but they put up a good fight.

    ReplyDelete

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)