Monday, April 27, 2009

Period 1: Turmoil in the Middle East, Day 14 - Class Recap

Outside the World Trade Center in downtown Portland, near the waterfront. All sorts of countries and cultures coming together there! Picture taken by Mr. Fritz on April 17th.

Dear class,

I must say, I am getting extremely excited for your presentations and creative products! I think I touched based with all of you today about what you were thinking about and where you were. Thanks for the perfect attendance, too! Great to see. Still a little worried about some of you who insisted that everything was done or at home and did not have anything to do in class, but overall, I think that we have given this enough time. Let's see what we can come up with!

Essential Questions: In what ways are cultures and countries interconnected? What are the factors to consider in the development of a Palestinian state? - As I said in class, I really love that first question, because it makes everything that we are doing relevant and interesting. Like music? That works. How about sports? That works too. Dance, language, art, drama? Yes. It is such a broad question, but you can make a million different things relate. A great essential question!

Soundtrack: "You Can't Hurry Love" by Phil Collins. Lyrics here, including some great lines that relate to why I chose it for today, after our Blazers lost, and for our work looking at the long standing Israeli-Palestinian conflict:
You can't hurry love
No, you'll just have to wait
She said love don't come easy
But it's a game of give and take
So good.

AGENDA 4/27/09:
News Brief
Ping Pong Diplomacy
Music in Pyongyang
Project Work

Homework: Final project (paper and creative product), due next class! Read blog recap!

Just so that there are no issues with this assignment that can be immediately be solved by looking at the assignment sheet, please look it over before asking any questions about what I am asking you to do. After that, by all means, fire away! Here's the assignment to download, if needed:

Israel and Palestine Final Project

Remember that you need to type at least one page explaining your creative product. In that explanation, please write about how you addressed the issues at stake in the conflict, the essential questions of the unit, and how your creation is going to help foster collaboration between both sides.

Again, make this fun and interesting for you! This assignment gives you an enormous amount of free choice! Find ways to relate something that you love to this!

Also, if you need anything in particular for me to bring in, or set up for your presentation, please let me know. I will have my laptop (capable of playing DVDs) and a projector with an ELMO ready for use.


News Brief: After talking for a bit about the Blazers game, we also had an interesting discussion about the swine flu outbreak. Go to almost any news website and you will find information about it. Here's one: CNN.com - 73 cases of swine flu confirmed, hundreds more feared.

As we talked about in class, I have no doubts that this is an immediate and pressing concern. However, how come we all too frequently lose sight of much bigger problems that would absolutely benefit from a lot more publicity? For instance, how about the estimated FOUR THOUSAND plus people that have died so far just in 2009, in the United States, as a result of drunk drivers? Source: AlcoholAlert.com - Drunk Driving Statistics. That is an INSANE statistic!

Some of you may have Mr. Hardy for Biology, and as I was getting super worked up about this in the teacher cluster, he completely agreed and said if people would only start paying attention to the fact that the number one cancer by far and away in both men and women is lung cancer, mostly as a result of tobacco use. And that heart disease is the number one killer of adults in the United States. What is really more dangerous? Swine flu that may or may not take over the world, or you smoking cigarettes?

I am hoping to find that article that I mentioned in class about having a steak knife pointed at you while driving, instead of a seat belt strapping you in. I sure would drive much more carefully!

EDIT: Here it is, in the form of the first chapter of an e-book, available online. The Armchair Economist by Stephen E. Landsburg. The quote that I just love:

If you find it hard to believe that people drive less carefully when their cars are safer, consider the proposition that people drive more carefully when their cars are more dangerous. This is, of course, just another way of saying the same thing, but somehow people find it easier to believe. If the seat belts were removed from your car, wouldn't you be more cautious in driving? Carrying this observation to the extreme, Armen Alchian of the University of California at Los Angeles has suggested a way to bring about a major reduction in the accident rate: Require every car to have a spear mounted on the steering wheel, pointing directly at the driver's heart. Alchian confidently predicts that we would see a lot less tailgating.

Landsburg has all sorts of great insights like this one. I would suggest giving that chapter a read if you are at all interested in the seat belt/spear thing.


Anyway, after this fascinating discussion, Zack T. brought in the following article about something going on in the Middle East: AlJazeera.net - Three Killed in Turkey police raids. Very interesting! That is a conflict that I do not know too much about. I do know a little bit about the "May Day" protests and riots that have happened on May 1st in years past, though. Thuy, you are up for Wednesday. Any news current news article having to do with anything around the world outside of the United States.

Ping Pong Diplomacy: Before letting you loose for project work the rest of class, I wanted to show you a couple of really famous instances of creative ways to get countries talking. One of the most interesting that I can remember (and as highlighted by the fantastic movie Forrest Gump) was the "Ping Pong Diplomacy" that happened between the United States and China in the 1970s. This was an HUGE deal. Here's the video we watched in class:



Music in Pyongyang: Aaron helpfully pointed out that the Ping Pong Diplomacy wouldn't really work for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, because neither side wants to make amends. This thought led directly in to a more current situation, with North Korea and the United States, where music was used to bridge long held divides (partially). Here's the video we watched in class about the New York Philharmonic playing in Pyongyang:



I also mentioned an excellent report that Christiane Amanpour did for CNN as a result of the trip, where you get to see some really interesting footage of what life is like in one of the most secretive countries in the entire world. I will post a link to that later, when I can get on YouTube. I am SO excited that teachers will finally be able to access it at school on Wednesday! Update: Here is the link to the first YouTube video in the series - Notes from North Korea (1 of 6).

Project Work: Using the two videos as a sort of a final "pump up" for the final project, we read the key parts of the assignment sheet together. I also told the class to have the skills packet to turn in and be graded on Wednesday.

As I said at the beginning of this post, I liked the work we did in class, and I think I touched base with everyone about their project. Please do not leave the rest of this until the night before! There is way too much to do. I do not want a million comments asking for directions on Tuesday night (though again, I will always be glad to respond to anything you bring up).

Be excited for class on Wednesday! I think this should be interesting and a lot of fun! Let your optimism shine through!
---

The Blazers play tomorrow night (Tuesday) in Portland at 7:00 PM on KGW and NBATV. Needless to say, I would rather that we win this game. I think we will, and I actually don't mind our chances to win the next three, but that was just a brutal loss last night. Have hope! 24 is tonight as well, at 9:00, meaning that I will be up until 10:00 to answer any comments or questions. Have a great rest of the day! See you on Wednesday!

41 comments:

  1. is the matt video on the dvd you gave me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jazmyne,

    Yes, that is a DVD of the "Dancing" video that I showed in class. There is a welcome screen where you have to press play to start the video, but other than that, I think that is only thing on the disc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, then I have NO idea how to play it because all i see is the menu screen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH NO WAIT I GOT IT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jazmyne,

    Try presing "Enter." Or, move your mouse to click on the word "Dancing" - it should highlight a part of it. Or, if your computer has a "Play" button, try that too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH I JUST HAD AN IMPIFINY..or whatever you want to call it. Like a really good idea. It's actually one of the ideas you gave me. Im going to get EVERYBODY up and just kind of pump them up at the end with a good pump up song and just like kind of teach them a couple steps and try to get a least a few to really get into it. Well it's really good in my mind it will make awesome sense once you see it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jazmyne,

    Awesome! It sounds amazing! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey
    Can i have the video too, cause im toatally green with envy.Just kidding.(No seriously you gotta get me that video. If at all possible of course. Not pressuring you to anything.)

    P.s can the presentation be a bit longer or shorter than the original 2-3 min?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Abe,

    Longer, yes. Shorter than two minutes I will probably have to grade you down on for not being substantive enough to really communicate well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To all,

    I just found where I got that reference in class about the knife vs. a seat belt and which one would be more safe! I've updated the class recap to provide a good link and quote. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are they actually going to think about doing this? Or are they speaking hypotheticlly?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Abe,

    Totally hypothetical. Landsburg is an economist and is basically just pointing out how to get people to make better rational decisions, with a humorous twist.

    Another one: "Environmentalists call on us to ban carcinogenic pesticides. They choose to overlook the consequence that when pesticides are banned, fruit and vegetables become more expensive, people eat fewer of them, and cancer rates consequently rise."

    It's perfect logic, but totally impractical.

    ReplyDelete
  13. But couldnt they simulate it on a computer, find results and tell people its practical

    ReplyDelete
  14. Abe,

    It's not a matter of simulation. It definitely makes logical sense and would work. It is impractical because nobody would ever drive with a spear aimed at their heart, or want MORE carcinogenic pesticides, even though those two things would almost definitely decrease deaths.

    ReplyDelete
  15. so im working on my paper right now and i am kind of confused, so is it just about your creative part or is it about the conflict between israel and palestine?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Scout,

    Both. Because your creative product is being made in the hopes that the two sides will cooperate, you need to explain in your paper why there is a big conflict and what you are doing to try and get both sides to stop fighting and talk.

    Does that make sense? Read the handout again, it may help too.

    Thanks for the question!

    ReplyDelete
  17. paper emailed to you already

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mr Fritz

    Is it okay if my one page essay and speech/presentation is on the same page. My presentation is my reading/speech but is it okay if i include every thing i say in the paper? Hope its not too confusing?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Abe,

    I guess that works, though I would have thought that the creative product would not involve much explanation of the conflict, which I was expecting to see in the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  20. so is palestine muslim or islam
    i keep getting confused

    ReplyDelete
  21. The majority of Palestinians are Muslim, or people of the Islamic faith. Islam is what the faith/religion overall is called, so it is the same thing. Think like Christianity and Christians.

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh ok
    thanks mr. fritz

    ReplyDelete
  23. do you think you can post the slide show you did a long time ago about israel/palestine

    ReplyDelete
  24. i think that it would really help

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mr. Fritz
    i want to send you my palestine paper but i dont know how
    SOS
    HELP
    MAYDAY
    FREAKING OUT

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey Mr. Fritz!
    I must say that the Blazers are playing with sooo much energy and intensity! Just hopefully we can keep this lead going and not let the Rockets back in. We just need to keep those rebounds coming! They're playing with a lot of belief :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Archana!

    I'm honestly afraid to write anything about it... but let me just say that I completely agree with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Haha sounds good. Yeah, too soon to speak, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Arch,

    Too soon to speak about aforementioned event that may or may not be happening right now, yes.

    I'm just trying to do ANYTHING different than the other times this particular event has happened and the desired outcome was not achieved.

    How's that for a wordy response?

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Haha that makes complete sense!
    (No sarcasm)
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. All,

    YES!

    I am excited for your projects tomorrow. I am sure that those will make me (and everyone else) even more happy. Not that there would be any reason for me to be happy right now...

    See you in the morning! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Mr Fritz
    Can i have a page for explaining my creative project, and my outline for my speech/scriptures?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Abe,

    Was just rocking out to the soundtrack for tomorrow. Yes, a separate explanation page would be good. Reading the scriptures and explaining what Israelis and Palestinians have in common would a great creative product.

    See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  34. So i have to turn both of them in?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Abe,

    I am anticipating that some of the creative products that people do may not be able to be turned in (like a skit). However, if there is any sort of paper I can look at to look over and remind me what you did, yes, I would appreciate that too.

    ReplyDelete
  36. So let me get this straight. i turn in my page essay and my outline?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Yes. Basically, anything that you are actually able to turn in, you will turn in for me to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  38. OK
    good night

    P.S BLAZERS WON.

    ReplyDelete

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)